Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB vs Serial BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit — Parallax Forums

USB vs Serial BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit

KellyBellefleurKellyBellefleur Posts: 1
edited 2010-01-16 00:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I'm completely new to this stuff [noparse]:([/noparse].
I'm going to purchase the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit and BOE - Bot parts kit for my daughter. I just want to know if there is anything that you can do with the serial version that you can't do with the USB version or vice-versa. I have computers with both capability but think that the USB option would give me some extra flexibility.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-15 23:16
    You can use a USB to serial adapter to attach the serial BOE to a computer with only USB ports, but there's no way to attach a USB BOE to a computer without a USB port and only serial ports. That's not much of a limitation these days, but, if your household has an "antique" computer, it might be important.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-01-16 00:21
    It's kinda nice to have that USB Serial adapter sitting around if you're going to get into using weird electronic devices. I use it with an old Garmin ETrex Legend GPS, with various APRS thingies (Opentracker, TinyTrak), and with the circuit I'd put together to update the firmware on XBees (though now you'd just get the new Parallax board).

It's also useful if you ever get a Homework Board or one of the Basic Stamp Carrier boards.