Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE WiFi — Parallax Forums

BOE WiFi

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2010-01-16 17:15 in BASIC Stamp
Ken and Parallax People Planetwide and All--

Is there an update available on the much anticipated and long awaited BOE WiFi module?

My money is burning a hole in my new blue jeans.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-01-15 22:04
    You should·see·something in 4 to 6 months on our website.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 1/18/2010 3:48:32 PM GMT
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2010-01-15 22:13
    Dave--

Gee. That money is going to get awful hot in my pocket! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

--Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-16 01:51
    This might take the strain off your pockets. A pocket fire is not something I want to see (or have to put out)

<edit> it would help if I included the link... http://www.ewiznet.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=135·Sorry!

Smokey says "Only you can prevent pocket fires"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen

Post Edited (Franklin) : 1/16/2010 4:42:59 AM GMT
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-01-16 04:14
    At My End

I have asked for WiFi for years. The X-Bee that Parallax has offered, isn't what I wanted.
    Where Is Parallax on a WiFi module?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

Post Edited ($WMc%) : 1/16/2010 4:20:00 AM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-01-16 04:27
    Hey guys!

Wow. This WiFi BOE is the subject of very intense R&D expenditures, so I shall summon the e n g i n e e r i n c h a r g e of that project so he can comment on the schedule.

I share your concerns and feel the same need.

Let's see what Kevin says. He's not on the forums like the rest of us so we must wait till Monday for his reply.

There's more to it than what Dave said above.

Ken Gracey
  • Kevin McCulloughKevin McCullough Posts: 62
    edited 2010-01-16 10:51
    Hey Guys,

No need to wait until Monday for a post, I'm always at work... smilewinkgrin.gif

There is indeed very much anticipation for our future WiFi Module - as well as the additional set of new products that will enjoy WiFi connectivity by having this module built-in. We are investing a substantial amount of time, energy, and resources to make this the best product possible, in the shortest time-frame possible. Trust me when I say there is A LOT that goes into making a product like this happen. We are tackling several new design and manufacturing challenges that have not applied to many of our other products. As a company we are significantly broadening our capabilities as we seek to bring you more easy-to-use and innovative products.

Our goal with this product is to make WiFi super easy to use for anyone. Simultaneously we want to make this module highly capable and versatile for the "power users".

I'm reluctant to suggest release dates until we are closer to the time. However, because you are all twisting my proverbial arm, I would give an estimate of somewhere between 3 and 4 months for these products to be in stock and available for purchase.

If we used something off the shelf, we would probably already have something for sale right now, however it would end up being just like the many other devices already out there. Instead we are going for a better user experience, and a device that will not only complement many of our current products, but also support the needs of several new product ideas we are looking to offer in the future.

Several of us get all giddy in a nerdy sort of way when we talk about some of the possibilities that this device will open up for us. We are truly excited about this WiFi module, and are chomping at the bit to get it done! We know our end product is going to be worth the invested time and effort, and we're hoping you'll also agree that it was worth the wait.

Sincerely,
    Kevin McCullough
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-01-16 16:10
    This is GREAT news

Can we get a peek at some of the specs?

p.s. sorry for the arm twisting,We'll use the water board next time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2010-01-16 17:15
    Kevin --

You are right: I really do not have a clue about what it takes to produce the product you envision. I know that you do. I will wrap some tin-foil or something around that money in my pocket for insulation!

The possibilities I see are the ability to let my microcontrollers perform their tactical functions while a PC does the heavy lifting for my machines. Once we can integrate the power of the PC into our robotics' efforts, navigation, sensing, actuator capability and EVERYTHING associated with the robots we have and the robots we WANT TO HAVE becomes feasible.

Plus, there is a LOT more: I have many little applications I would like to design for indoor use around the home. Most of them need the power of a PC to be truly effective. I don't want a lot of PC/laptop/whatever equipment all over the house (well, no more than we already have tongue.gif·), so the WiFi module--even if I must dedicate a BOE to it to make it a smart device--will make these applications possible.

I hope you got home and managed to get some sleep! (There is still another whole DAY to devote to this project before the work week begins!)

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.