Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Oil flow-meter using PING))? — Parallax Forums

Oil flow-meter using PING))?

Capt.KerryCapt.Kerry Posts: 28
edited 2010-01-18 21:15 in Accessories
While searching for an affordable oil flow meter for my central heating I came across a page about ultrasonic flow meters http://www.shenitech.com/flow-meas-ultrasonic-transit-time-flowmeter.htm. Wondering if this would be something a PING)) sensor could do.... any feedback?

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-15 16:29
    Probably not with the ping unless you wanted to gut it for the parts but the idea would work if you bought transducers and built your own. I think there are better ways to measure the flow rate you need for a home heating systems. Something like a paddlewheel sensor for liquid.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-01-15 16:55
    alot of higher end industrial flow meters for liquids use magnetic displacement type sensors for pretty high accurate readings. it's basically two rings placed a certain distance apart, separated by ptfe, ceramic·or other non-metallic substance, both wound with a coil, one is fed with a current upstream, the one downstream is then read for the magnetic current induced onto it by the flowing liquid through the center of both rings, the higher the flow, the greater the magnetic current is induced on the downstream coil ring. the beauty about these is the have no moving parts, but you have calibration factors that have to be known and adjusted for, viscosity being just one of them. these sensors made for industrial use usually run in the $3-8,000 range, so not for the hobbyist budget. but the technology behind them are relativly simple. ones made for industry are designed to work for many types of liquids, so they have many different calibration and configuration parameters to set before use. but i would think with a little testing of your own with your own design. something home-made wouldn't be hard to calibrate and achieve a fairly accurate system.

Post Edited (kf4ixm) : 1/15/2010 5:19:01 PM GMT
  • Capt.KerryCapt.Kerry Posts: 28
    edited 2010-01-15 23:36
    Thanks, guys, maybe the 125 euro analog meter is the way to go! Go with the flow!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-01-16 02:52
    The transducers in the Ping are acoustic-impedance-matched to air. They would be worthless with a liquid medium. There are transducers that are acoustic-impedance-matched to liquids, and these are the type used in flow sensors.

-Phil
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2010-01-18 21:15
    Mag flow meters are the way to go but as mentioned earlier, they aren't practical.

I would look using pressure to make the measurement.

Still expensive but accurate are venturi meters.

I would look at possibly an orifice plate for your needs. If you have a decent length of pipe, laminar flow and viscosity isn't a big issue, the orifice plates can work well.