Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the Basic Stamp to Controll DC Motors? — Parallax Forums

Using the Basic Stamp to Controll DC Motors?

TechseekerTechseeker Posts: 1
edited 2010-01-18 02:09 in BASIC Stamp
How can the Basic stamp be set up to control DC motors?

Comments

• JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-01-15 00:37
    Welcome Techseeker,

Did you have a specific motor in question? There are various types of controllers for different types of motors. Some information that would be key, would be what voltage do you want to run the motors at? What is the current? Do you have a stall current? Are they brushed or brushless? Do you have a datasheet for those motors, that should have the key specs that you would want to have prior to choosing the controller.

Sorry for all the questions; however the more information you provide, the easier and more accurate·a suggestion could be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-01-15 18:19
    For brushed motors (two wire DC motors):

The easiest way is through a small relay with coil triggered by less than about 10mA, but that's usually just ON/OFF control.

If you want single direction, speed control and the motor is small enough to only draw 100mA or less you can use a 2N2222 transistor, two resistors and two diodes. For motors drawing 500mA or more you'll probably need a power transistor like the TIP120. Both circuits would be very small.

For two direction speed control you need to build an H-bridge, or use an H-bridge IC. That's four transistors.

Google 2N2222, TIP120 or H-bridge and decide which will work for you. There's plenty of schematics out there [noparse]:)[/noparse]

There are plenty of motor controllers to buy as well. I like building stuff myself!
  • CampeckCampeck Posts: 111
    edited 2010-01-18 02:09
    here you go.

there are some changes that need to be made. use the 10k version of the ad5220. and use a 2.2kohm resistor instead of a 220ohm to prevent excess current flowing through the ad5220 when at min and max resistances. Also you should connect the CS pic so you can disable the chip. I was having problems with the speed changing until I did so. But it also could have been because I was switching the outa-d variables and accidentally pulsing the control pins.

Post Edited (Campeck) : 1/18/2010 2:25:27 AM GMT
    973 x 708 - 36K