Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Update stam from Internet — Parallax Forums

Update stam from Internet

SabaiSabai Posts: 27
edited 2010-01-14 20:33 in BASIC Stamp
Have an idee that it could be nice to be able to update the program inside the Stamp by downloading the new version from the net. Can this be done with out using Basic Stamp editor?

I maen, we got a stamp application that is sold to a customer and we now need to update the software in the Stamp. We put out a new version on the net for the customer to download. this is the easy part! How can I now get this into the Stamp??

B

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-01-14 17:31
    One nice thing about the Stamp in commercial or industrial products is that the program inside is hard for anyone to fiddle with.

But. it does make it harder to provide an ability to upgrade. The key point is that the program within the Stamp has been processed into tokens and then downloaded using some pretty tight timing between the editor and the the chip. I don't think an internet connection would allow the timing necessary.

While I've never tested it, I do understand that the editor allows the creation of an object file which you can then provide to the customer without him having the ability to change the code or even see how you did the coding. Click on the "File" menu item in the editor.

I'll bet some of the others on the forums have dealt with similar issues.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-14 17:59
    At the bottom of this page, there's a link for "BASIC Stamp Tokenizer": www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx
    In the archive, there's some documentation on the protocol used to download programs to a Stamp. You can either use the tokenizer to download a new program to a Stamp or you can write your own.
  • SabaiSabai Posts: 27
    edited 2010-01-14 18:32
    Mike Green said...
    At the bottom of this page, there's a link for "BASIC Stamp Tokenizer": www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx
    In the archive, there's some documentation on the protocol used to download programs to a Stamp. You can either use the tokenizer to download a new program to a Stamp or you can write your own.

That looks like what I need now I just need to find out how it all works!.maybe somebody have a VB sample tongue.gif

B
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-01-14 19:16
    If your customer can download from the internet, and they have a PC and a serial cable or a good USB/serial adapter, then the object file method is the best and easiest option. With your program open in the IDE, choose from the file menu the option, "Generate Object Code", then follow the instructions to generate an EXE file. See page 77 in the Stamp manual. You zip up the EXE and put it on your web site for the customer to download, or email it to them. I have used that method 100s of times to send updates to remote corners of the world.

An option for systems that are installed in remote locations is the Stache, also from Parallax here
    Your customer could download the program from the internet, load it into the Stache module, and carry it to the field to update systems there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2010-01-14 19:44
    Tracy Allen said...
    If your customer can download from the internet, and they have a PC and a serial cable or a good USB/serial adapter, then the object file method is the best and easiest option. With your program open in the IDE, choose from the file menu the option, "Generate Object Code", then follow the instructions to generate an EXE file. See page 77 in the Stamp manual. You zip up the EXE and put it on your web site for the customer to download, or email it to them. I have used that method 100s of times to send updates to remote corners of the world.

An option for systems that are installed in remote locations is the Stache, also from Parallax here
    Your customer could download the program from the internet, load it into the Stache module, and carry it to the field to update systems there.

I looked one the Object and that is a very easy way to get updates into Stamp. The only thing is that Parallex name is on it would like to get our name there insted....
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-01-14 20:15
    So, select "Custom" on the "Generate Object Code" page. This lets you change the "Parallax Inc." Company entry to anything you want.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-01-14 20:28
    Yes, and you can also change the instructions so that instead of "BASIC Stamp" it tells the name of your product. You can add text that explains the purpose of the upgrade or other instructions for your customer. You can also save the code as a small "object code" (See the manual). Once you do that, you can use "load from object file" and that will load your company name and special text, so that you don't have start over every time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2010-01-14 20:33
    Tracy Allen said...
    Yes, and you can also change the instructions so that instead of "BASIC Stamp" it tells the name of your product. You can add text that explains the purpose of the upgrade or other instructions for your customer. You can also save the code as a small "object code" (See the manual). Once you do that, you can use "load from object file" and that will load your company name and special text, so that you don't have start over every time.

Great Thanks for the help

B