Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ADC MCP3208 differential mode exceeding the specs - will this the device damage? — Parallax Forums

ADC MCP3208 differential mode exceeding the specs - will this the device damage?

StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
edited 2010-01-09 17:16 in Accessories
Hello,

I took a look into the datasheet of the MCP3208.
For pseudo differential mode it says
Analog Inputs
pseudo-differential Mode

min-voltage on IN+ = IN-
max-voltage on IN+= VRef + IN-

min-voltage on IN- = VSS-100 mV
max-voltage on IN-= VSS+100 mV

As I don't want to fry several chips until I know it, my question is:
If the voltages exceed these specs. Does the chip give back only strange values or will it destroy the chip?

a) if it happens ONE time accidently ?
b) if it happens for hours and days or 10.000 times?

see also attached picture

best regards

Stefan
1360 x 437 - 62K

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2010-01-09 16:11
    Stefan, most likely you will fry the chip if you exceed the maximums. You might get away with it if it is only a few mV over the max since even the max ratings have a safety margin to allow for processing variations but I would not count on it.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2010-01-09 17:16
    Thank you kwinn for your information.

Aha. OK. I want to use this chip for voltage and current measurings. As the differential mode needs two channels anyway I can set up a software-differential mode by using two channels configured on the ADC-chip as
    single-ended connected to the ends of the current-measuring shunt-resistor and calculate the voltage-difference in the software. So with this way I'll keep to voltages connected to the MCP3208 always above the specs
    lowest (=GND) and inserting a voltage-follower between sunt-resistor and ADC. Then I could supply the voltage follower by a voltage so the output is clipping the voltage at VRef - 100mV to stay surely under VRef.

best regards

Stefan