Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Animatronic Toucan — Parallax Forums

Animatronic Toucan

staracestarace Posts: 3
edited 2010-01-16 23:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all, I'm new to the forum here. First post and all.
Here's a Toco Toucan I just finished building.

Here's a video of Toco singing Lady Gaga's Bad Romance - this was just a test and his beak wasn't finished yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tiuzY8y9mU

TocoStill.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tiuzY8y9mU

And here's my youtube channel where you can see more.
www.youtube.com/patstarace

I'm a 2D/3D Animator, Artist, Modelmaker and I have been creating my own Animatronics for years now.
Toco the Toucan's skeleton is all cnc'd on my mill. He has 10 servos, speaker, speaker cabinet,
amp, BS2 stamp to control his iPOD, bluetooth, lipos, foam latex skin, brain and of course his iPOD.
He also has 2,000 hand sewn feathers to finish him off.

He's TOTALLY self contained and I hold him perched on my hand. The only time he's sitting is when I'm
making a video.

Enjoy

Pat Starace

www.patstarace.com

p.s. Now I have to go find that article for the SR-07[url=http://][/url][url=http://][/url][url=http://][/url][noparse][[/noparse]url]

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-01-09 15:35
    starace
    ·
    I created that volunteers at children's hospital, and this bird rocks his iPOD mp3 player!

Welcome to the Parallax Forum

Every One·if you have some time you should look at some of the work he has done very nice idea.gif·s a well

Keep up the good work hop.gifjumpin.gif

This is very nice the work· that your doing·with Animatronics and at the ·children's hospital

I really like this one that you did not post···· Feliz Navidad

Also this one· Silver Bells····

Do you have any Basic Stamp code that you can share with us and how you put all this together

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 1/11/2010 1:07:52 AM GMT
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-01-10 21:42
    Absolutely magnificent! Thanks for posting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-01-10 23:06
    Pat,

That's an amazing piece of work! (Truth be known, I'm as impressed by the 2000 feathers as I am with the techy stuff.) You mentioned that the BS2 controls the iPod. What controls the 10 servos?

-Phil
  • staracestarace Posts: 3
    edited 2010-01-12 00:09
    Thanks for the replies.

Sam_Sam_Sam, Thank you for the compliment and the bump on the other videos.
    I don't really have much stamp code as it just controls the ipod, simple but effective.
    But if anyone wants any pointers on how to control an iPOD, I'd be happy to do so.

erco, Thank you too!

Phil, Yes, the feathers were much more than I anticipated, but nothing compared to all the techy stuff.

I carved his beak, head and body out of tupolo wood, then I vacuum formed them.
    I designed his skeleton in Softimage / Maya and the created them in Solidworks and cnc'd them
    out of ABS on my mill.

I carved his neck, made a plaster negative and positive mold and cast it in foam latex.

I have been creating these things for years now and have developed a way to lay an audio track and
    a data track on a multi-track cassete player / cd player / minidisc / and now an iPOD.

So I have all these tracks and how do I trigger them.......... here comes the BS2.
    Simple code, I hit a micro joystick and the stamp sends a serial command out to the iPOD to track forward.
    So far I have track fwd/back, volume up/down/ and pause. I created this controller with bluetooth as
    I'm working on a voice recognition board I can wear and that will send the command to the stamp, which will then
    send it to the iPOD. This will allow me to pick which track exactly....

I also use the stamp, in another part of this process but more on that another time.

Running out of gas here, gotta eat something. I hope I answered your questions.
    If you have any more just fire away.

And Thanks again for the compliments!

Pat Starace

www.patstarace.com

Post Edited (starace) : 1/12/2010 12:14:36 AM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-01-12 03:59
    What controls the ten servos?

-P.
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2010-01-14 03:35
    Can you elaborate on the ipod control?

devil.gif
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-01-16 23:46
    Can you elaborate on the ipod control?

Same here

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam