Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp without BOE — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp without BOE

gtmeloneygtmeloney Posts: 13
edited 2010-01-08 17:25 in BASIC Stamp
What would I need inorder to build a project using the basic stamp without using the BOE?

I've been playing with the BOE for a while now and am ready to make my project small (eliminate all of the un-used portions of the BOE).

Can I buy a circuit board and wire the BS2 components by hand?

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-01-08 00:09
    Hi gtmelony,

You can incorporate a BASIC Stamp onto a PCB of your own design using our OEM components. They are available individually and it kit form.

Visit our website and click on Store> Microcontrollers> BASIC Stamp> OEM·to find our BS2 OEM kit (#27291) and individual components.

You can also·put your·BS2 module onto·other·boards, such as the no-frills BASIC Stamp 2 Carrier Board (#27120) , or a custom PCB designed to accept it.

Have fun!

-Steph

Post Edited (Steph Lindsay (Parallax)) : 1/8/2010 12:14:14 AM GMT
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-01-08 14:39
    You can also use a bread board·with the BASIC Stamp for prototyping.· The connections for the·programming connection are on page 28 of the "BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual".

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-01-08 15:09
    +1 Dave. The BS2 was designed to be extremely simple to interface. Don't leave out the "loopback" jumper, the IDE won't program the module without it.
  • gtmeloneygtmeloney Posts: 13
    edited 2010-01-08 15:59
    Thanks.

Is there a schematic somewhere that details the necessary connections to power the stamp when connected to a breadboard?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-08 16:01
    Yes, it's in the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual. You can download this from Parallax's Download webpage (under BASIC Stamp Documentation).
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-01-08 16:11
    The BOE_Board_Of_Education_Manual.pdf has this.

Basically, Vin (6 volts to 12 volts unregulated DC) goes between pin 24 and Pin 23. The BS2 has an on-module linear regulator which will provide a regulated 5 volts for the BS2. Probably you should put a 10 uF capacitor across these lines too.· Pin 24 is +, pin 23 is Vss (Ground).

Your programming adapter then goes on pins 1 through 4. 1 goes to a DB-9 pin 2, 2 goes to a DB-9 pin 3, 3 goes to a DB-9 pin 4 (with a couple of capacitors to keep the PC from holding the chip in reset), and pin 4 (Vss, which is Ground) goes to DB-9 pin 5.

And, DB-9 pin 6 is tied to DB-9 pin 7. That's the "loopback" pin.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-01-08 16:59
    BS2s are very easy to build·hand-wired PCBs for.·I start with a·24-pin socket and·attach a small·4-pin header for programming directly beside the socket. A DB9 connector is way too big. Of course, I had to make a custom cable; I cut off the DB9 male from the cable and route those connections to a small 4-pin female connector. Loopback connection inside cable. Have a peek at a photo of my robot's·board·at http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66365. More photos in the thread at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=869446·Also shown·in the photos·for your consideration are a 7805 voltage regulator, electrolytic filter cap,·power-on LED, and six relays for switching motors. Each relay has a protection flyback diode·and an indicator LED.

As you can see, I use headers for connecting all the external wires. It IS·a pain and takes longer to build initially, but in the long run it is infinitely better than having a rat's nest of wires coming out of the top of the board. It looks so much better, and when you inevitably have to make changes on the board, it's easy to·get to and remove completely without breaking wires and trying to remember where they went.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • gtmeloneygtmeloney Posts: 13
    edited 2010-01-08 17:08
    Thanks for all of the information. I am going to attempt to wire up my BS2 without the BOE.

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way, but for now I have one: where do I buy the headers (and it also looks like your wires have some sort of connector on them that allows for easy connection to the header) ?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-01-08 17:25
    Any good electronic store should have those headers & sockets (not so sure this includes Radio Shack). Standard 0.100" spacing fits standard PC boards.

For instance, http://www.hosfelt.com/contents/en-us/d490.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."