Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting USB Keyboard to BS2? — Parallax Forums

Connecting USB Keyboard to BS2?

Kyle L.Kyle L. Posts: 21
edited 2010-01-07 14:15 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible to connect a USB keyboard to a BS2? Rather, what's the easiest way of doing it? I have a small space in which to fit whatever wires, ICs, parts, etc. I'd need, so I'm going to have to go with a minimalist approach.

I know that you can connect a PS2 keyboard pretty easily to a Propeller, but a Prop is overkill and I'd prefer USB if it wouldn't be too difficult.

It needs to get the keystrokes (the letters typed), then process them a bit and cycle some I/O pins depending on the letters pressed. What it does after it gets the keystrokes isn't important, I just need to figure out how to actually connect the keyboard to the BS2 and get the keystrokes.

If there were some easy way of just having the letters sent to the micro-controller in TTL serial, that would be ideal (even if it's going to require another IC or somesuch). But, maybe I'll just have to end up using a Prop and PS2.

Any help or input you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-06 14:48
    The Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger can act as a USB host for a keyboard as well as a memory stick. I'm not aware of any examples of its use to interface to a keyboard, so you're mostly on your own researching what registers the keyboard presents to the Datalogger. If you're willing to use a PS/2 keyboard instead, the ezKey may be just what you need: www.multilabs.net/ezKEY.html.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 1/6/2010 2:54:01 PM GMT
  • Kyle L.Kyle L. Posts: 21
    edited 2010-01-06 15:09
    Mike Green said...
    The Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger can act as a USB host for a keyboard as well as a memory stick. I'm not aware of any examples of its use to interface to a keyboard, so you're mostly on your own researching what registers the keyboard presents to the Datalogger. If you're willing to use a PS/2 keyboard instead, the ezKey may be just what you need: www.multilabs.net/ezKEY.html.

Well, I think that the ezKey would be best, then. Looking at the documentation, it really is easy. :P It's cheaper than the datalogger, and nice and small, too.

It looks perfect. Thanks!
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-07 06:20
    There is this www.beyondlogic.org/usb/pdiusbd11.pdf but it is neither easy or foolproof.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Kyle L.Kyle L. Posts: 21
    edited 2010-01-07 14:15
    Franklin said...
    There is this www.beyondlogic.org/usb/pdiusbd11.pdf but it is neither easy or foolproof.
    If it's not fool-proof, then I better not try it. tongue.gif

Thanks, though.