Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rolling Robots: Torrance, CA — Parallax Forums

Rolling Robots: Torrance, CA

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-03-22 10:27 in Robotics
I must admit: I'm fat, dumb & happy·living in the Los Angeles area. Easy access to everything I need; electronics stores, parts stores, surplus stores, you name it. The infamous TRW electronic swap meet, several robot clubs, it's all here.·Best of all,·there is Rolling Robots, a·store dedicated to robots in Del Amo Mall, just one mile from my house. They've been open for over 2 years now, and have even opened a second location in Glendale, further north. They cater to a young crowd; they sell robot·toys and kits (including some Parallax·items),·have an R/C robot arena and organize competitions, even have robot camps and host robot-themed birthday parties.

The owner George and his wife Bing are super-nice people, I stop in periodically and they invite me to their competitions. Man, do those kids get fired up during the championships! I must admit, I wasn't sure·how long they would stay open at first. It's a niche market, an expensive location, and the recession had to hurt. But·their·staying power and second location are a testimony to their success and how captivating robots·are to the public.

I·have taught·classes·at Otis Art College in LA, which included building simple robots and Stamp programming. I know Whit has·hosted one or more Scribbler camps, and there are others here who teach and/or get involved with school robotics programs. All·valiant efforts of volunteer or low-paying jobs. I wanted to share this happy urban commercial success story. Whether or not their business model works everywhere, you might draw some inspiration from checking out their web site. Anybody·expanding·in these hard times is doing something right.

http://www.rollingrobots.com/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·"If you build it, they will come."

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-01-07 02:12
    erco, agreed, entirely. George has a real passion for this so he's bound to succeed with the store he's created. We've witnessed many stores open (and close) centered around robotics. Seems the robo-crowd really likes to purchase on-line and they're not like the R/C crowd (the nearest somewhat similar type of shop I could imagine to robotics). If a robotics shop is going to make it, it'll be in the location where you guys live. So far they're doing great, and surviving the current economy means that much success lies ahead for them. We're thrilled to be stocked in their shop, too!

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-01-07 15:43
    Great story erco!

Needless to say, we don't have a robot store in Northeast Louisiana! That is why I love these forum, Parallax and web-shopping. We do have a well stocked Radio Shack (now with some handy Parallax sensors) and a Hobby Town USA.

For years, I lived in the San Francisco area. A short drive to Parallax and home of all sorts of robotic fun. Sadly, it was before I started this wonderful hobby. I could kick myself...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • RollingRobotsRollingRobots Posts: 2
    edited 2012-03-21 23:34
    Rolling Robots has a student team at Robogames this year... Big fat sumo wrasslers age 9 to 15
    check out the team here:
    http://rollingrobots.com/robogames-team-2012/team-members
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-03-22 10:27
    It's so good to hear about successes in this type of business, as so many of those who valiantly tried have ended up having to close. It's a tough market, and a tough economy. I'm sure a testament to good marketing and business.

Their Glendale store is not that far from where my son was born (though that was 23 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed).

I agree LA can be a great place for all its resources. I was always a Valley-ite, to be closer to the studios there, and I was jealous of the better stuff -- and cooler weather -- in your neck of the woods.

Again, good to hear about the successes out there.

-- Gordon