Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Not identifying, I think it's dead — Parallax Forums

Not identifying, I think it's dead

zoidzoid Posts: 12
edited 2010-01-06 18:44 in BASIC Stamp
Here's the scoop
I've been using BS2s for years. I have a PC board I use for my projects. It is a known good board.
Now I plug in a BS2sx and it won't identify. Looked at the board to see if bad solder etc, nope
tried a different known good Pc board [noparse][[/noparse]with 7805 regulator rather than 78L05 which gets hot on the sx], no indentify. I would try a different stamp but it's all I have right now.
Same computer, same usb to serial cable, same stamp software. Everything worked before. I think it must be DOA

Comments

• zoidzoid Posts: 12
    edited 2010-01-05 23:04
    Actually I Do have another stamp around the house. It's busy right now running my outdoor wood furnace and making my hot water.
    Considering it's 15 degrees F outside, snowing, and predicted to get colder yet, I think I'll leave that stamp alone.
  • TappermanTapperman Posts: 319
    edited 2010-01-05 23:33
    zoid said...
    Actually I Do have another stamp around the house. It's busy right now running my outdoor wood furnace and making my hot water.
    Considering it's 15 degrees F outside, snowing, and predicted to get colder yet, I think I'll leave that stamp alone.
    If I may ask ... how is it doing that?· Is your wood stove a pellet stove?· I would be interested in any info you could pass along on that issue?
    edited 2010-01-06 00:09
    Tapperman:
    The outdoor furnace is a Taylor stove. It is a big wood burner with a 450 gallon water jacket. It heats the water to 180F . The hot water is circulated thru underground pipes to radiators in the house. There is also a heat exchanger in the water jacket that is used to heat hot water.
    What the stamp does is:
    1, run the air blower that fans the fire when the water temperature is below 180F
    2, run the circulating pump for the radiators whenever the house temperature is below 66F
    3, run the hot water circulating pump when the hot water heater is below 130F
    4, display the status of the system on an LCD screen in my bedroom so I can see what's going on
    5, display the outdoor temperature and time of day
    There are other functions in the code to handle situations like when the fire goes out [noparse][[/noparse]rarely] so as to make the best use of the stored heat in the water tank

The system lives in my basement so it is not exposed to the elements
    It was built from stuff hanging around my house early last winter so some of the circuitry is a bit unorthodox
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-01-06 00:46
    Are you using the newest version of thee Basic Stamp Editor if not you need to

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2010-01-06 01:14
    Things can go bad over time. Cables can go bad (try a different USB cable), drivers can get corrupted (reload/update the USB to serial drivers·used by your bridge/cable), power supplies and batteries can go bad (I guess you can see if the green power LED comes on?). PC configurations can change (reinstall/update to the latest Basic Stamp Editor).·Just some thought from one who has lived long enough to make most of the mistakes.

·smile.gif

Duffer
    edited 2010-01-06 11:51
    Yes !
    Editor version 2.4.2 does the trick

Thanx
  • TappermanTapperman Posts: 319
    edited 2010-01-06 18:44
    zoid,

Thanx for the info ... I have wood pellet stove I was considering using my stamp to controll the temp in the house.