Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unknown chip in my discovery kit — Parallax Forums

Unknown chip in my discovery kit

UG_CyberUG_Cyber Posts: 5
edited 2010-01-06 01:27 in BASIC Stamp
I just got the discovery kit for the hollidays and i am LOVING IT. its my first experience with this type of equipment. That being said, all i know is what the book told me about the the sensors that it came with, however, either i overlooked something in the book or it doesn't cover this chip that came with the kit. It looks like the digital thermometer in the Parrallax store but i am unsure and if it was, i don't know how to use it.

The best discription i can give on it is that it is a black chip with 8 pins, four on each side. these are the numbers on it
AD5220
B10

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-02 02:12
    This is why Google was invented. Google "AD5220" (without the quotes) and see what you get.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-01-02 02:33
    ·Digital Potentiometers ·AD5220

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • UG_CyberUG_Cyber Posts: 5
    edited 2010-01-02 16:28
    Ok, so i know what it is, thanks. but how do i use it? I understand what it does now, but it does me no good if i do not know how to utilize it.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-01-02 16:39
    thats why it's called a DISCOVERY kit, read the documentation for the chip·and im sure some kind of use will show with a little imagination.idea.gif
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-01-02 18:07
    UG_Cyber said...
    Ok, so i know what it is, thanks. but how do i use it? I understand what it does now, but it does me no good if i do not know how to utilize it.
    What you want is called a "datasheet", and if you Google AD5220 datasheet, you'll quickly find one for that chip. It tells you how to connect the chip, what kind of power it needs, and gives several useful sample circuits.

In general, if you're going to mess around with this kind of stuff, you're going to want to get used to finding and reading datasheets for the parts you're using. The AD5220 would be a really good one to start with, as it's a pretty straightforward little device.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-01-03 01:29
    Come on guys ... UG_Cyber go to the Parallax store and put the number """"AD5220"""""in the search engine at the top right of the screen .. When you go to the part read the documentation
    Parallax has not only has the data sheet but a bunch of sample code as well . IT will be very good information and what you are looking for.
  • UG_CyberUG_Cyber Posts: 5
    edited 2010-01-03 05:26
    Thank you, that is exactly what i was looking for.
  • TappermanTapperman Posts: 319
    edited 2010-01-06 01:27
    UG_Cyber,

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment / education out of your STAMP ... It is a fine product.

And I know your going to enjoy using your AD5220 Digital Pot!