Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Advice sought to learn GPS & remote data logging — Parallax Forums

Advice sought to learn GPS & remote data logging

RayleighRayleigh Posts: 3
edited 2010-01-01 18:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I'm new to microcontrollers and want to learn more but need some advice first. I want to learn to measure temperature, pressure and possibly other environmental values remotely (ie battery powered) while recording GPS location (including altitude). I'd like to be able to save the data and GPS values to a flash drive. Would the following set of Parallax products provide me with the necessary equipment and activities to build my knowledge to accomplish my goal?

BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit #27807
Applied Sensors Parts & Text Kit #28153
GPS Data Logging Kit # 910-27937

Other suggestions to help a newbie out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Rayleigh

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-01 16:33
    Save a little money and get the GPS Receiver and the Memory Stick Datalogger separately rather than the GPS Data Logging Kit since you're already getting the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit which already includes a Stamp and a mounting board.

The Discovery Kit will introduce you to Stamp programming and basic digital electronics.

The Applied Sensors Kit will teach you how to measure a variety of environmental information. Parallax does have a pressure sensor in its store that's not included in the Kit, but it works much like the other sensors in the Kit.

The documentation for the GPS Data Logging Kit is available as downloads from Parallax. Most documentation is linked from the webstore page for the particular product. Other documentation is off the Downloads page or the Resources page off the main Parallax webpage. Do go through the Nuts and Volts Columns index available off the Resources webpage. These columns are full of great information and sample code.
  • RayleighRayleigh Posts: 3
    edited 2010-01-01 18:56
    Thanks for the suggestions Mike!