Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Displaying battery life? — Parallax Forums

Displaying battery life?

Casey GrossCasey Gross Posts: 14
edited 2010-01-02 05:37 in BASIC Stamp
Im in the process of building an autonomous drone. I need to be able to tell how much battery life i have left in the battery. Whats is the best and cheapest way to do this?

Comments

• Miles. kMiles. k Posts: 34
    edited 2010-01-01 04:32
    i don't have much experience with this but, i do know that you can use a A/D converter to do what your trying to do. it might be worth looking into. they sell these on Parallax's web site.

Good luck,
    Miles. K
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-01 07:03
    Check out www.emesystems.com. If you click on the "app-notes" link at the bottom of the page you'll find some discussion on using the RCTIME statement to monitor battery voltage using very few parts. Estimating battery life is pretty difficult since rechargables like NiMH have a very shallow discharge curve. Their voltage drops only slightly until the cells are nearly exhausted.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-01 07:39
    Best and cheapest often don't go hand in hand. Usually you have to choose somewhere along the continum. The best solution isn't cheap, and the cheap solution isn't best. This applies to all sorts of engineering problems. Anyway, sparkfun sells a nice current/voltage sensor board. www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9028. You can use this with an ADC to determine the current voltage and current drain history, and from that infer how much life you have. Such a solution would require some testing with the battery in question to get an accurate prediction.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔