Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR on Stingray — Parallax Forums

IR on Stingray

BocephusBocephus Posts: 58
edited 2011-08-11 06:46 in Robotics
I am attempting to add IR detection for my Stingray but the IR never detects anything. I'm not sure if my mistake is in the code or the circuit. I'm using the IR Detector object. Any assistance or guidance is appreciated.

dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED..IR_L_LED]~~ 'output
  dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]~~
  dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_L_Rec]~
  dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_Rec]~
  outa[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED..IR_L_LED]~~
  outa[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]~  

IR_L.init(23,22)
  IR_R.init(20,21)

repeat
    if IR_L.object
      'if IR_L.distance < 10
      Counter := cnt
      !outa[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]
      waitcnt(Counter += 10_000_000) 
    if IR_R.object
      'if IR_R.distance < 10
      Counter := cnt  
      waitcnt(Counter += 10_000_000) 
800 x 533 - 128K
800 x 533 - 98K
800 x 533 - 90K

Comments

• BocephusBocephus Posts: 58
    edited 2010-01-01 21:35
    Hello, I am still trying to get this to work. Below is an update of where I am. Can anyone help me figure out why I get no signal? I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _clkfreq = 80_000_000

IR_Motion_LED = 19 ' motion detected indicator LED
      IR_R_LED      = 20 ' infrared LED, changed to 1k resistor
      IR_R_Rec      = 21 ' receiver added 220 resistor

OBJ

IR_R  : "Ir Detector"

PUB main

dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED]~~   
      dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]~~

IR_R.init(IR_R_LED,IR_R_Rec)

repeat
        if IR_R.object
          waitcnt(40_000_000 + cnt)

_____
     |   | <- IR Receiver
     | 0 |
     |___|
     | | |
     | | |
     | | |______ +
     | |________ -
     |__________/\/\/\___o P21 

_
     (_)   <- IR LED
     | |
     | |
     | |________ -
     |__________/\/\/\___o P20 

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-01 22:23
    You may want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=856735

You may be experiencing a similar problem. To see if you are, you'll want to get a multimeter out and see if the signals are present or not on the receiver. If they are, then try writing a small program that simply continuously pulses out on the IR LED, and displays (via terminal or visible light LED or something) what the input is seeing (0 or 1). If the results are different than the multimeter says, you're in the same trap. From there I'd experiment with different sized resistors (probably a higher value).

There is some discussion in the Propeller Education book (pdf on Parallax site) about the IR detectors that might help. I believe that it has some simple code that you can hack if needed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-01 22:26
    1) Make sure you've got the IR detector wired correctly. The pins as you've shown them are as seen from the front (sensor) side of the device.

2) You didn't say what IR Detector object you're using. There are several in the Object Exchange. Please identify it more clearly.
    edited 2010-01-01 22:53
    Thanks SRLM and Mike Green.

SRLM, I'll check the thread you suggested to determine if that is my problem.

Mike Green, I drew the connections as I have them so I think I am good there. I got the files from my Propeller folder on my computer and I am unsure where I got them from, or when I downloaded them for that matter, so I am attaching the 2 object files used.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-01 23:14
    With a 1K resistor in series with the LED, you're only getting about 1.5mA through the LED which isn't a lot of current and the LED will be fairly dim. Try something more like the 220 Ohm resistor or even 100 Ohms. The IR detector is ok with a 220 Ohm resistor. Make sure the IR detector's power source is 5V.

You can often use a VCR to check if an IR LED is working ok. The IR will show up on the screen if it's pointed at a working IR LED.
    edited 2010-01-02 22:09
    I found another object to use for the square wave and the Full Duplex Serial Plus for debugging. I swapped the IR LED with a regular one and the light comes on. I also swapped the 1k out and put the 220 back. The receiver shows 4.9v on the multimeter. I tried using the remotes I had around to see if the receiver would change states. I moved the robot around hoping to change states as well but the state remains at 0 no matter what I do. I'm not sure how to proceed debugging my issue.

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _clkfreq = 80_000_000

IR_Motion_LED = 19          
      IR_R_LED      = 20
      IR_R_Rec      = 21

HOME = 1, CR = 13, CLS = 16, CRSRX = 14, CLREOL = 11

OBJ

SqrWave       : "SquareWave" 
      Debug         : "FullDuplexSerialPlus" 

PUB main | IR_State 

dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]~~                      ' IR Begin

'Start 38 kHz square wave
      SqrWave.Freq(0, IR_R_LED, 38000)           ' 38 kHz signal &#8594; Pin
      dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED]~                            ' Set I/O pin to input when no signal needed

'Start FullDuplexSerialPlus
      Debug.start(31, 30, 0, 57600)              ' Start FullDuplexSerialPlus
      waitcnt(clkfreq * 2 + cnt)                 ' Give user time to click Enable.
      Debug.tx(CLS) 

repeat
        ' Detect object.
        dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED]~~                         ' I/O pin &#8594; output to transmit 38 kHz
        waitcnt(clkfreq/1000 + cnt)              ' Wait 1 ms
        IR_State := ina[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_Rec]                ' Store I/R detector output
        dira[noparse][[/noparse]IR_R_LED]~                          ' I/O pin &#8594; input to stop signal
        waitcnt(clkfreq/10 + cnt)

Debug.str(String(HOME, "State = "))      ' State always shows 0
        Debug.Dec(IR_State)
        Debug.tx(CLREOL)

if IR_State
          waitcnt(10_000_000 + cnt) 
          !outa[noparse][[/noparse]IR_Motion_LED]                   ' IR End

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2010-01-03 01:07
    Most of the times frequency for the Prop is defined as

CON

_CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X
    _XINFREQ = 5_000_000

Page 38 of Prop Manuas v1.1 says that _clkfreq is read only

John Abshier
    edited 2010-01-03 07:35
    John Abshier, one can define either _CLKFREQ or _XINFREQ in the CON section. The other will be calculated based on the application defined one and the _CLKMODE.
    edited 2010-01-05 08:07
    Me again, I really want to make this work. In the "Propeller Education Kit Labs - Fundamentals v1.1" pdf file on page 148 it shows an IR setup. So I located my demo board and reproduced the circuit I have been debugging on the stingray to see if I could get it working on the demo board. I replaced the resistors with 1k each on the LED and the receiver like it shows in the pdf. It works! I quickly realized I needed to change the code from "if IR_State" to "ifnot IR_State." It works as expected on the demo board so I experimented with some different resistor values on the stingray, but I've still had no success. Does this mean I will have to disable the level shifters as mentioned in the link SRLM provided?
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2010-01-05 09:55
    I'm just learning this stuff myself, but whatever circuit you had working on the demo board was based around connecting to the Prop pins directly which are 3.3 volts and on the Stingray robot board you are connecting to them through level shifters that change it to 5 volts.
    You have to adjust the circuit for the difference on voltage, which I believe means using larger resisters to the LEDs and smaller resisters to the recievers. One of you electronics experts correct me if I am wrong...

I think you might try using a 1.8k resistance (maybe 2.2k resister is the closest?) to the LED (this is based on the spec sheet on the parallax store for the IR LED that says it has a max 1.5 forward voltage which is lower than a typical color LED), and no resister on the reciever since it outputs between 0 and 5 volts (according to the data sheet linked to on the parallax store).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out the Propeller Wiki·and contribute if you can.

Post Edited (Roy Eltham) : 1/5/2010 10:02:20 AM GMT
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2010-01-05 13:00
    So glad to know it's not me. I've been scratching my head over this too. I bought the StingRay as a home tinker toy. I got frustrater with the IR sensor thinking, well, now I have to take it to the shop to see why this does not work. So, last night I decided I'm going to try to back door the 3.3-5v converter and take the sensor output directly to the prop pin on the header. I'm determined to solve this at home.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Jim-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent!
    Send $1 to CannibalRobotics.com.
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2010-01-05 22:21
    OK,
    so I got it up on the scope. The little silver, metal case IR receivers seem to have a couple of issues.
    The signal is inverted and it can not seem to overcome the 3.3-5v converter. If I power it up and run the output directly into the scope, I get clean 5->0v square pulses. If I hook it up to the converter through 100 up to 10K resistor, it goes flat or way too low.
    The only way I have been able to get them to work is by placing a 1K pull UP resistor on the output of the sensor and connecting the output directly to the prop converter pin.
    It seems to work with Bob Belleville's IR code.
    J-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent!
    Send $1 to CannibalRobotics.com.
    edited 2010-01-06 03:16
    Thank you Jim. So I will have to install the bypass and translator headers in order to have IR. Does this mean any sensor with an inverted signal will require this technique?

Thanks to everyone for the troubleshooting assistance.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-06 06:25
    Bocephus said...
    Thank you Jim. So I will have to install the bypass and translator headers in order to have IR. Does this mean any sensor with an inverted signal will require this technique?

I don't think the problem was the inverted signal. Rather, the level changing chip that was used has some requirements that the 5v side has to accommodate, and the circuit wasn't doing it.

As a side note, I think Parallax should come out with a number of reference circuits for the Stingray. There needn't be many, but things like buttons, IR detectors, LEDs, QTIs, etc. would be a good start.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔