Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HB-25 motor controller — Parallax Forums

HB-25 motor controller

Matt J.Matt J. Posts: 5
edited 2009-12-31 01:49 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone have experience with the HB-25 motor controller?

I'm wondering if I can use this to control a DC motor like the ones that are used in R/C cars and trucks.

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-12-30 21:12
    Matt--

We need more data! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

But, I use the HB-25 quite a bit and love it. The HB-25 is a "fire and forget" controller, meaning that you send it a command and the HB-25 will continue to execute it until told otherwise. No refreshing is needed . . . although you can "refresh" if you want.

The HB-25 will handle up to 25 amps. (I WISH Parallax would build one that will handle up to 50 amps.) Anything in the hobby world that draws 25 amps is using considerable power. For example, the gear motors on one of my machines will draw up to 85 amps at stall. But, who does that? Something would break LONG before they stalled! So, even in the grass, snow, or up an incline, my tracked, dual gear motor-driven machine never draws much more than 10 or 12 amps.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Matt J.Matt J. Posts: 5
    edited 2009-12-30 23:55
    Thank you for the response. I am not sure what the max current is on the motors. I just know that there are 2-7.2v motors in this R/C truck that I have. I think it would make a great robotics platform. I would like to use the 2 motors that are already in it and just use the BOE if possible. This is all just for experimentation and my own personal enjoyment.

The R/C truck that I have is a HPI e-Savage.

With the HB-25 does it have the capability to ramp up the speed so instead of being reverse, off, or full speed, can it be set to do half speed?
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-12-31 00:11
    Matt J.

Bill is right.
    The HB-25 is a great motor controller. If you can afford the cost, Its probably the best motor controller out there."Set it and forget it"
    I'd consider it over kill for most small remote cars/etc.(look @ L293 or L298) Chips.
    I think you would really like the HB-25

I wish Parallax would offer a 50amp@24volt version of the HB-25, Maybe an HB-50 for us power freaks with large motor projects!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-12-31 01:30
    Matt--

All it takes is a simple loop to ramp the acceleration of the motor up or down. I use a FOR/NEXT loop with the loop index variable as the HB-25 motor controller command arguement.

There is really nothing to it. Download the docs.

Happy New Year!

--Bill
    ps I also agree with $WMc%: Parallax has "promised" us both an HB-50 AND a WiFi module! So, Parallax People, where's the beef?!!! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-12-31 01:49
    I've used the HB-25 with my version of a robotic RC car. It works pretty much as a drop in replacement for the stock motor controller. There isn't really any advantage or disadvantage as far as I can tell.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔