Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB BoE and Hyperterminal — Parallax Forums

USB BoE and Hyperterminal

BitzerBitzer Posts: 2
edited 2009-12-31 13:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I've used a serial BoE and BS2pe for some time now running a weather station. Data is collected once a week simply by using Hyperterminal and DEBUGging the stored data to a text file on the PC. I use a null-modem (is that the right term?) cable so the BS2 doesn't reset when HT connects.

I've now got a second BS2pe and a USB BoE so I can do some development work. The connection appears as COM7 on my system and all is working fine except that when HT makes the connection the Stamp resets. I really don't want this to happen, but can't see any settings to change within HT. Does anyone know of a workaround for this, or possibly a more elegant way of collecting the stored data? We're not talking huge quantities here, about 70 kb per week.

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to all when it arrives.

Ken.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-12-30 23:23
    You could try one of the other terminal programs. Parallax makes a standalone serial terminal to use with their products and then there is RealTerm or TeraTerm.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-30 23:44
    The reset is normally used for controlling downloads. When the serial port is opened (by HyperTerm), the Stamp is forced to reset. For some terminal emulators, you can disable the control line that causes the reset (DTR) so that opening the serial port won't affect it (and won't reset the Stamp). HyperTerm is not helpful that way.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-12-31 00:54
    A physical work around is to use a serial cable with only pins 2,3,5 connected between the Stamp and PC. You can't program with this configuration, but it won't reset the Stamp on a simple port opening/closing.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • BitzerBitzer Posts: 2
    edited 2009-12-31 10:25
    Thanks all. I couldn't find the Parallax serial terminal but will try one of the others and disable DTR.

The physical workaround is exactly what I've done with the serial BoE, but I'm not sure if that's possible with a USB BoE, which is what I'm having the problem with.

Ken.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-12-31 13:38
    Ah yes. You may have to to do a bit of surgery right at the Stamp socket and add a small switch or jumper pins to selectively connect the ATN pin.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·