Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What happened to the inexpensive laser radar? — Parallax Forums

What happened to the inexpensive laser radar?

Tom CTom C Posts: 461
edited 2010-01-23 06:15 in Accessories
Hi all,

The Parallax 2009 catalog hinted at an inexpensive laser radar that was in development. I guess that it did not come to fruition. Oh well, maybe in 2010?

Regards,
TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-01-04 15:53
    What page of the catalog are you referring to?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-04 16:06
    @ Dave: see this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=772782

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-01-04 16:43
    Okay, I see.· I believe there is a prototype developed at this time by·a third party company.··We do not have any·more details at this time, we will update·the forum as soon as we have more information.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-01-06 20:58
    Hey Tom!

We're working with Joe Grand on this particular product. It's been a long-term development to say the least. The range will only be up to 40", but precision and accuracy are quite high.

I've seen working prototypes and soon we should put it in production.

- Ken
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2010-01-06 21:38
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Hey Tom!

We're working with Joe Grand on this particular product. It's been a long-term development to say the least. The range will only be up to 40", but precision and accuracy are quite high.

I've seen working prototypes and soon we should put it in production.

- Ken

I was hoping for more range, but I understand sometimes what we want is not equal to the monetary funds which it would require.

I personally was hoping in the range of 10's of feet.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
  • mugurmugur Posts: 105
    edited 2010-01-08 00:46
    Hi. No one was curios to try to read the data from a device like this ?
    www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=142267

i was hoping a skilled man would give it a shot.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-01-08 03:19
    mugur, that's the type of device we'd like to build ourselves, but I admit we've faced many challenges even with a skilled team.

Our laser range finder will use a CCD camera and laser point, fixed a few inches apart. Using trig we'll calculate the distance to the spot, based on where it appears on the sensor. The device you showed me is probably a time-of-flight + ultrasonic device.

Ken Gracey
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-01-08 03:29
    re. mugur's device:

Measuring range - 0.2 - 20m
    0.2m nearest range, that's·about 8 inches, and nothing closer.

If that could be useful, you might be able to "read" (pick off, intercept) the data sent to the LCD (??).· Finding out how all that goes might be fun if you have a lot of time and desire -- or you're getting paid for it.
    edited 2010-01-08 08:55
    Hey Ke, thank you. Can't wait [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I am not sure that the device there has anything to do with ultrasonics though...
    i've found another one with 1mm accuracy and range extended to 50m

I was thinking same as PJ Alen.. maybe something like reading the data sent to lcd.

Your laser finder will be working like this?
    sites.google.com/site/todddanko/home/webcam_laser_ranger

Post Edited (mugur) : 1/8/2010 9:35:02 AM GMT
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2010-01-08 15:30
    Has anyone tried using the TSL1401 Linescan sensor as the input for a rangefinder?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-01-08 17:01
    MSDTech said...
    Has anyone tried using the TSL1401 Linescan sensor as the input for a rangefinder?
    Yes, and it's not that hard to do. I described such a method here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=813695.

-Phil
    edited 2010-01-09 14:00
    Can i pop out another stupid question please?
    Recently i have totaly trashed an old working sony video camera. Along many interesting things i've got from it (like very small metal geared motors from zoom) i have found an interesting optical "device". Now the stupid questions follow:

Since the camera was very precise in autofocus, i was thinking that using the focusing optical ansamble (is made out of an phototransistor and another piece that i have never seen before, like a small photo sensor with 4 legs, the surface of this looks preaty much like a camera sensor looks like) might get an accurate distance measurement. The pcb that holds these 2 optical parts is quite small, it has 2 very powerfull lenses (one for each photo element) , and the signal is sent out in only one wire... the other 2 i have figured are just Vcc and Gnd.
    I know this is not 'laser" at all, but it can work ?
  • Miles. kMiles. k Posts: 34
    edited 2010-01-09 17:36
    How big is it going to be?
    Will it have a 3pin interface like the Ping)))?
    Will it be compatible with all Microcontrollers?
    Will the laser Need a external power supply?

I Would Absolutely LOVE to have one of these on my robot as soon as it comes out.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-11 00:12
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=634360

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔