Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropScope X-Y — Parallax Forums

PropScope X-Y

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2009-12-31 00:56 in Accessories
Hi guys on my old analog scope Tektronics you could set it to X-Y and then use a curve trace device , it is the most useful piece of test equipment I have, I can not for the life of me figure out how to set the propscope for X-Y can it be done if yes can anyone please tell me how,,Hanno,,, Parallax?????????????

Comments

• HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2009-12-28 06:12
    Hi Mike,
    Yeah, Lissajouz Patterns! Here's a post I made a while ago about xy plots- maybe that will help?
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=856307
    Basically, you'll need 2 signals, one for ch1 and another for ch2. In the DSO mode, set up trigger, timescale, vertical resolution so the screen shows two nice waveforms. Then, click on the analog view and on the top right you'll see the xy plot.
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    12Blocks, the block-based programming environment (thread here)
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-12-28 17:20
    Hanno I am not sure you understand me, I have a device that uses the X-Y function on an oscilloscope, take any dual channel analog scope on the A/B Sec/Div dial you can set it to X-Y using channel 1 as Vert channel 2 as horizontal on the scope it just displays a dot in the center but when you add the curve trace device it will then show you different curve traces on the scope depending on what you are testing, a dead short of a transistor would be a straight up and down line , a leaky cap might be an oval shape
    I need to be able to setup the prop scope to act the same way channel 1 Y channel 2 X input , Can the propscope be setup to just display X-Y like a Tektronic 2445 or any type dual channel scope with the X-Y function
    Thanks,,

P.S Hanno look at the attached circuit and diagram and you can see what I am trying to do
    Thank you again

Post Edited (mikediv) : 12/28/2009 5:37:57 PM GMT
    766 x 560 - 11K
    edited 2009-12-28 21:07
    Hi Mike,
    PropScope has multiple "views". It starts out in the "oscilloscope" view- but also has other tabs, like "logic analyzer" and "analog". The "xy" plot is on the top right of the "analog" view. It does exactly what you want.
    Hann

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
    edited 2009-12-28 23:41
    Thanks Hanno I kind of found what you are talking about but I must be doing something wrong it seems like sometimes my propscope is not very accurate and changes for no logical reason.

I have set time dial to 50ms volts to .5 for both channels on DSO then I go to Analog to see trace in upper right hand corner ,, sometimes a trace will appear and seem correct I have my Tektronics on the same time to compare but most times either no trace or something really strange will appear. I updated to the latest update , but like I said I am doing somehting wrong or somehting is wrong becuase if I shut down program and try again it will sometimes work,, when you go to analog is there anyway to shut off the split screen so the spectrum analyzer is gone or minimized. It would be really nice to be able to shut off the split screen ,,also why does the DSO LSA screen always show square wave on the logic state analyzer even when there is no input and nothing connected to the probes (i20) always show a square wave signal on mine even when the probes are laying there no connected??
    Hanno do you think my propscope could be defective .. thank you for all the help
    edited 2009-12-29 06:44
    Hi Mike,
    Can you describe what's going on with your PropScope?
    So far I'm aware of some minor software glitches which I'm fixing, the hardware seems to be solid so far. Latest version is v1.03
    See screenshot showing xy plot of 60hz waves. I have had PropScope running overnight, no problem...
    LSA shouldn't show signals if nothing is connected.
    Changing the layout of the screen is possible, but somewhat advanced. The layout is defined by the xml files in the "view" directory.
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    738 x 561 - 74K
    xy.png 73.5K
    edited 2009-12-29 21:10
    Hi Hanno , again thank you for the help. Mine seems to have a few bugs I am not sure if its hardware though. I am running a Dell with Windows Vista all the updates. 4 Gig Ram and a few 200 gig hard drives DVD the usual . I am running propscope 103

A lot of the times when I try to use it I will get readings that I know are wrong so if I close it down and reboot propscope some of the time it will fix the problem the biggest is I always get a square wave reading on I2 no matter even I disconnect the probes/ I just wired up the logic analyzer and tried to use the 4 inputs and as always there is always a signal coming in or showing anyway on I2. To be honest I can not trust it so I always have my Tektronics on and try and compare signal to see if its working.
    I am using the probes that came with the machine but also tried my Tektronics probes just to be sure and that was not the problem, Also if I have my propstick or prop proto board connected I have to reboot becuase the prop tool will not function unless I disconnect the propscope
    I am using 1.2.7 once I get the prop tool to work then I can boot the propscope but it will hang and loose connection to the prop board and I have to disconnect the propscope and do the same dance over.
    Hanno I do always leave my expansion board connected to the propscope I never use it without it being connected, Here is a screen shot of one of my problems I just booted it up and I do not even have the scope probes connected yet all 4 inputs are showing square wave inputs??

the only way I can get them to go away is if I ground each of the 4 inputs

Oh Hanno sorry looking at your photo see the trace pattern you are getting in the upper right hand you have an arrow pointing well sometimes I will get the trace and it will look right but for no reason it will change and disappear or the shape will just change dramatically even with no input change I will also be watching on Tek scope it is fine???

Post Edited (mikediv) : 12/29/2009 9:15:20 PM GMT
    1928 x 1178 - 133K
    1928 x 1178 - 113K
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-12-29 21:49
    mikediv said...
    Hi Hanno , again thank you for the help. Mine seems to have a few bugs I am not sure if its hardware though. I am running a Dell with Windows Vista all the updates. 4 Gig Ram and a few 200 gig hard drives DVD the usual . I am running propscope 103

A lot of the times when I try to use it I will get readings that I know are wrong so if I close it down and reboot propscope some of the time it will fix the problem the biggest is I always get a square wave reading on I2 no matter even I disconnect the probes/ I just wired up the logic analyzer and tried to use the 4 inputs and as always there is always a signal coming in or showing anyway on I2. To be honest I can not trust it so I always have my Tektronics on and try and compare signal to see if its working.
    I am using the probes that came with the machine but also tried my Tektronics probes just to be sure and that was not the problem, Also if I have my propstick or prop proto board connected I have to reboot becuase the prop tool will not function unless I disconnect the propscope
    I am using 1.2.7 once I get the prop tool to work then I can boot the propscope but it will hang and loose connection to the prop board and I have to disconnect the propscope and do the same dance over.
    Hanno I do always leave my expansion board connected to the propscope I never use it without it being connected, Here is a screen shot of one of my problems I just booted it up and I do not even have the scope probes connected yet all 4 inputs are showing square wave inputs??

the only way I can get them to go away is if I ground each of the 4 inputs

Oh Hanno sorry looking at your photo see the trace pattern you are getting in the upper right hand you have an arrow pointing well sometimes I will get the trace and it will look right but for no reason it will change and disappear or the shape will just change dramatically even with no input change I will also be watching on Tek scope it is fine???

Wow....that is interesting.

The one I have doesn't do that.

I've attached a screen shot with mine booted up with nothing attached (no probes...but DAC card is attached). No other items have been changed but the tab in which it is viewing.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!

Post Edited (James Long) : 12/29/2009 9:57:47 PM GMT
    1280 x 1024 - 139K
    edited 2009-12-29 21:57
    Thanks James for chiming in! Yes, there shouldn't be any activity on the lsa pins if nothing is connected. I can't explain it- or the other symptoms that Mike has. I'm highly reluctant to blame Parallax hardware, but it is possible. Maybe David or Joshua from Parallax can shed light on this when they return on Jan 4th.
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-12-29 23:54
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hmmm.
    edited 2009-12-29 23:57
    PJ Allen said...
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hmmm.

Your statement confuses me.

The gift horse did me right.

Not sure about anyone else.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
    edited 2009-12-30 01:33
    Thanks guys yeah James I am thinking I must have a hardware problem, I was reluctant to consider it since right out of the box I was having issues but I thought it was software namely Microsoft issues , but I just did a clean install from scratch on a laptop with nothing but XP and propscope and it does the same thing I am hoping Parallax will warranty this since its only about 2 weeks old .. I really did not need this since I have 150Meg Tektronics Quad trace scope but I wanted it for the potential of the prop and what everyone is going to do on this site I didn't want to be left out, lol no really I am betting some of the guys here are going to come up with some amazing attachments and code. I really hope I will be able to trust this thing if I can get it straightened out.

Hanno I tried using it without the daughter board attached it does the same thing, it shows an input reading when nothing is connected , it hangs when I try to use my prop proto board with the prop tool 1.2.7 so I guess I will have to wait until the 4th

Just one thing I was kicking around for thought , I was really surprised the propscope did not have a power LED to indicate when it was on I know its no big deal and I am gald I did not try to hack anything on mine since its bad but a power LED would have been a really nice feature for me anyway.

Hanno, James?? Has anyone beside me had a problem with their proscope that required returning it????
    edited 2009-12-30 01:42
    mikediv said...
    Thanks guys yeah James I am thinking I must have a hardware problem, I was reluctant to consider it since right out of the box I was having issues but I thought it was software namely Microsoft issues , but I just did a clean install from scratch on a laptop with nothing but XP and propscope and it does the same thing I am hoping Parallax will warranty this since its only about 2 weeks old .. I really did not need this since I have 150Meg Tektronics Quad trace scope but I wanted it for the potential of the prop and what everyone is going to do on this site I didn't want to be left out, lol no really I am betting some of the guys here are going to come up with some amazing attachments and code. I really hope I will be able to trust this thing if I can get it straightened out.

Hanno I tried using it without the daughter board attached it does the same thing, it shows an input reading when nothing is connected , it hangs when I try to use my prop proto board with the prop tool 1.2.7 so I guess I will have to wait until the 4th

Just one thing I was kicking around for thought , I was really surprised the propscope did not have a power LED to indicate when it was on I know its no big deal and I am gald I did not try to hack anything on mine since its bad but a power LED would have been a really nice feature for me anyway.

Hanno, James?? Has anyone beside me had a problem with their proscope that required returning it????

Mike,

I know the propscope is new, so I doubt there have been any returns.

You talk about a power LED. I agree, but my unit does tell me when it is being initialized. It clicks....when starting up the Propscope software, and also when changing from 0.5 to 1 volt scale. There must be relays or something inside to change, because it definitely talks to me. I work in a very quite location, I don't deal with noise very well, when doing development or testing.

I'm wondering if this is a USB power issue. If the laptop doesn't power the device, I'm sure all kinds of weird readings would happen.

I wish I could help more....but you could always plug it up, place it next to your ear, load the software and toggle between 0.5.....1 volt. Both channels will cause a click....if it doesn't click, that is a place to start. I would then change the USB cable. Then go from there.

Not very helpful......sorry

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Post Edited (James Long) : 12/30/2009 1:47:31 AM GMT
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2009-12-30 04:34
    Mikediv
    · A thought, the 4 logic inputs just go to a cmos input and left floating they can
    float high , low , pick up signals next to them or near by. Rule I remember was to
    never leave cmos inputs floating . You say when you ground all the logic inputs
    everything looks clean. Does not say propscope hardware is bad just that as users
    of the 4 bit logic analyzer we have to make sure all inputs are a signal or tied high
    or low.

I am not saying that covers all the issues you are having.

Tom
    ·
    edited 2009-12-30 21:18
    Thanks James I will have to wait for the Parallax guys to come back and hopefully get it fixed.
    tdlivings that's good advice but its just not my logic inputs its the scope itself always show input voltage/signal no matter what , I also thought noise since this is in my lab lots of equipment even thought the Tek scope I was using to compare was causing noise but that's not the case
    I did a complete install propscope on another computer and took it into my downstairs kitchen no florescent lights no machines not even the TV set was on . And I get the same problem it would seem something internal hardware wise is wrong, A scope is not much use if I can not trust the readings. ,, James mentioned in another post about how sensitive the logic inputs are and he is so right I am able to wave my hand over my board and have the logic inputs show it ,,crazy I guess your point about the inputs floating is dead on
    Oh well if someone was going to get a bad one why not me right. I am sure the Parallax will help me get it straightened out
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-12-31 00:56
    @mikediv and Hanno

I rechecked my PropScope and LSA output is clean (no signals) with or without the DAC board pluged in.

Looking at the schematics, I can not figure out where the LSA EN signal is generated. I see inputs to the trigger IC and the DAC circuit, but no logic to enable/disable the signal. I was thinking it was stuck high or low someplace.

PropScope 1.03

Jim