Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Identification problems — Parallax Forums

Identification problems

mattduvallmattduvall Posts: 13
edited 2010-01-02 00:04 in BASIC Stamp
I got a usb Boe Bot for christmas, and I have gotten up to the point to identify the board so it can communicate wiht my computer. I have downloaded the usb drivers and stamp editor on the site but, when I click "run>identify" it shows "com3" as the only port, and it will not show up there. I have tried plugging it into evey usb port on my computer and dont kno how to resolve this. any help is VERY much appreciated.

Comments

• Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-12-26 22:48
    Have you restarted your PC? Also check the power supply/battery...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-26 22:58
    If you plugged in the BoeBot before you installed the Stamp Editor and its USB drivers, Windows may have tried to use its default USB driver which doesn't work properly with the Stamp Editor. Unplug the BoeBot and reinstall the Stamp Editor and the FTDI USB drivers, then try again to identify the BoeBot. Make sure you're using good batteries or an AC adapter. Try a different USB cable if you have one.

It's possible, but very unusual for a BoeBot to be defective. Overwhelmingly, when a Stamp can't be identified, the problem is either inadequate power or a problem with I/O drivers or a problem with the USB cable.
  • mattduvallmattduvall Posts: 13
    edited 2009-12-26 23:01
    thanks a lot, I noticed windows installing a driver automatically, I'll try that
    edited 2009-12-27 00:39
    ok I don't know what to do, I tried a new cable, and installing the software first, but no luck. There is only one port that shows up on the identification screen (com3) the loopback says "yes" but the echo says "no" The driver that windows installs automatically seems to be the same one from the website. Also i tried new batteries. This is very frustrating confused.gif
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-12-27 00:48
    Try this (on windows computers) go to device manager and select view hidden devices then, with your cable disconnected delete all com ports that are hidden (greyed out). Uninstall them and remove drivers don't just disable them. then uninstall the parallax software and reinstall make sure the drivers are installed. When that is done restart the computer and after it has loaded completely plug in your cable and boebot. See what you get and do not accept the windows drivers. If asked select install drivers manually and select the drivers parallax installed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-12-27 01:05
    hmm I dont see any greyed out ports under hidden devices
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-12-27 01:16
    Then you don't have the USB device installed correctly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-12-27 02:27
    I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I just click the driver, and it installs.

68zurk.jpg
    edited 2009-12-27 06:03
    ok, so windows installs somthing like serial port converter and (com3) when i disable the serial port converter, i get an error message saying no serial ports availible. I'm very frustrated, will someone please help!
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2009-12-27 14:02
    go here and download the driver... make sure you have nothing plugged into your usb ports unless you have a usb mouse, then that will be fine. most importantly, make sure your boe bot is not plugged in.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx

Click save, then save to your desktop. when download completes, then click run. you will get that same DOS screen as the driver installs itself. now open up your device manager under the control panel. now at this point, plug your boe bot into your usb port with the power switch OFF on the boe bot. you should see a driver installation commence for a new com port, under the device manager you will see a new USB com port (COM#), the '#' will be the com port number that is your boe bot. now you should be able to open up basic stamp editor and upload the program to your boe bot, just make sure you turn the boe bot 'ON' before you try to communicate with it.
    edited 2009-12-28 02:56
    How can I dl the program onto the board if it is not on? I have tried turning the bot on but it still does not recognize it. Everything happend as you said but I still cannot identify it, everytime I click identify the led on the bot flashes but it does not identify it confused.gif
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2009-12-28 03:10
    to make sure the driver installs correctly, the bot needs to be off, after the pc recognizes it, installs the driver and issues it a com port number, then you can turn it on to download your program.
  • SammyGSammyG Posts: 2
    edited 2009-12-28 03:18
    I did the unthinkable and took Windows advice on how to fix the same problem you listed.
    I downloaded PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311.zip from:
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303/Drivers - Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311.zip

After unzipping and running the executable the next time I plugged the BASIC Stamp into the USB drive, it loaded a driver and has been running since.
    Good luck.
    edited 2009-12-28 03:28
    ahhh i cannot get this to work would anyone be willing to take control of my laptop and do it?
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-12-29 03:47
    Here is the link· where the drivers are there is also an uninstaller

www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-12-29 14:46
    Critical piece of information: You MUST install the USB Driver WITHOUT having the USB cable plugged in.

Once the USB Driver IS installed, THEN you can plug in your USB cable.

If you plug in the USB cable first, Windows loads its default USB serial driver, which WILL NOT WORK, and which will block key parts of the USB Driver installation.
    edited 2009-12-29 23:43
    yeah i did that, but it still installed the defult windows driver. I just got windows 7 so ill see if itll work
    edited 2009-12-31 16:10
    ok, it still doesnt work for me. Heres what I do.

-install bs editor
    -install the usb drivers
    -plug in the boe bot with the power off, windows then automatically installs drivers
    -I turn the bot to position 1
    -run > identify, the main sections are blank. the loop says yes, the echo says no

????????????/
    edited 2009-12-31 17:48
    Have you tried new batteries? Are you sure the BS2 is not plugged in upside down?

The loopback checks the cable. The Echo checks only the 'front end' of the BS2 hardware, a couple of transistors
    that 'echo' back to the PC what's sent to the BS2. The loopback test doesn't require power on the BS2, the
    Echo test does require power on the BS2.
    edited 2009-12-31 17:48
    Have you tried new batteries? Are you sure the BS2 is not plugged in upside down?

The loopback checks the cable. The Echo checks only the 'front end' of the BS2 hardware, a couple of transistors
    that 'echo' back to the PC what's sent to the BS2. The loopback test doesn't require power on the BS2, the
    Echo test does require power on the BS2.
    edited 2009-12-31 19:15
    what do you mean by upsidedown?, its just the mini usb into the bs and usb into my computer right?
    edited 2009-12-31 19:19
    The BS2 'module' is a 24-pin wide DIP, which could be plugged into the BOE-Bot board one of two ways -- only one of which is correct.

Oh, and don't just reverse it and try that, because you can break things that way,
    if they're not already broken.
    edited 2010-01-01 01:02
    WOOOOOOOW I'm not even gonna say what I have been doing wrong. lets just say I'm new to robotics and dont quite understand the vocab. anyway i got it to work, thanks everyone
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-01-01 13:48
    All of these Replies and you're going to duck & cover?

No way, you have to face the music.
    edited 2010-01-01 19:09
    lol ok, i didnt even have the basic stamp plugged into the the board, i geusse it cant identify somthing thats not there shocked.gifsmile.gif
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2010-01-01 19:41
    You get the "Doh" of the week wack_by_donkirk.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2010-01-01 20:00
    mattduvall said...
    lol ok, i didnt even have the basic stamp plugged into the the board, i geusse it cant identify somthing thats not there shocked.gifsmile.gif

Well.....you did figure out the problem, so you are moving forward.

We all had to start somewhere........

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-01 20:44
    I guess I'll have to add that to my list of "99% of all failures to identify a Stamp are due to ...". It has come up before.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-01-02 00:04
    ·lol.gif

Alrighty, then.· (Don't forget to pick up your sign.)