Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo mount for PING — Parallax Forums

Servo mount for PING

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2009-12-30 21:34 in Accessories
Found this in my RSS reader this morning...

www.thingiverse.com/thing:1423

Pretty neat project for a 3D printer.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-12-28 17:30
    I have the worst case of techno-lust right now. I must have one. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

store.makerbot.com/featured-products/cupcake-cnc-deluxe-kit.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2009-12-30 21:01
    Thanks OBC!

Now I want to construct a prop controlled 3d printer.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-12-30 21:34
    Coincidentally, I've just obtained an Epilog Zing laser engraver/cutter, and have been trying to come up with a way to make folded 3D structures with it. A servo mount for the Ping))) has been my example objective. The difficult part is finding the right material. The best I've come up with so far is 1/32" Delrin. This stuff cuts and scores in the Zing very cleanly, but it's a little too brittle to survive bending along the scores. I've tried laminating it with 5-mil Polyester, which is strong and flexes easily, but that's been little more than a Band-Aid approach.

Anyway, I've attached a drawing of the pattern (black lines are cuts; red lines, scores — i.e. partial cuts), along with a photo of the finished product, taken before one of the scores cracked. If anyone can suggest a better material (no vinyl: its fumes cause corrosion and void the warranty) and where to get it, I'd be grateful. So far, I've tried ABS (a disaster), Delrin, Polypropylene (too soft), and PETG. The material has to be cold-formable without tools. The idea is to provide structures such as brackets in flat form that the end-user can then fold into shape.

-Phil

_
    600 x 259 - 5K
    737 x 702 - 38K