Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Classes on microcontrollers/basic stamp? — Parallax Forums

Classes on microcontrollers/basic stamp?

J.T.J.T. Posts: 31
edited 2009-12-24 14:30 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi all,

This is a very broad question from a newbie.

I bought the basic stamp kit about a year ago.· I did a few of the first basic projects and got the jist of the potential of the basic stamp and started coming out to these forums to learn more.··Was totally excited about the possibilities.· But I've been busy at work and have·had to put·this little hobby aside·for the last 6 months and have probably forgot most of what I learned·at this point.

I·have·some background in programming, but I don't have any electronics background.

What is the best way for me to get some training on using the stamp?· ·I'm really looking for a class vs. the just the trial and error of me and the "what is a microcontroller" book and the forums here.· I understand the book is a great starting point, but I'm really trying to find out about a in-person course.

I'm in Los Angeles and I'm just not sure if I should be going to a community college to take some electronics courses, or are there "microcontroller" classes out there?· Does Parallax have courses locally?· Apparently there are some in Sacramento, but doesn't do me any good.

How did most people out there get their education in using the stamp and/or microcontrollers in general?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-24 14:30
    There are community college courses in microcontrollers just as there are courses at 4-year colleges and high schools. Look at your community college catalog. Also check your local 4-year college's catalog. You may be able to audit some classes inexpensively.

Parallax does occasionally put on classes, but they're intended for educators who, in turn, plan to go out and teach the material to others.

Most people do start with the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial and work through the exercises. They're designed to help you learn programming and enough electronics to get started. The other tutorials ("Basic Analog and Digital", "StampWorks", and others) are designed to teach more advanced topics. Have a look at the descriptions:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx