Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Awesome was waiting for this,,, prop scope blank add on boards??? — Parallax Forums

Awesome was waiting for this,,, prop scope blank add on boards???

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2010-12-23 06:14 in Accessories
Great was waiting for this , guys does anyone know if Parallax is going to offer a blank proto board for the prop scope for the 20 pin connector? I would like to buy a blank board like they have for the Hydra so we could build are own stuff for the prop scope

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-12-23 02:00
    If Parallax and Hanno don't already have something in the works, someone could come up with one in a few days time. The output connector is published.

I think there is a lot of potential for that port.

Jim
    mikediv said...
    Great was waiting for this , guys does anyone know if Parallax is going to offer a blank proto board for the prop scope for the 20 pin connector? I would like to buy a blank board like they have for the Hydra so we could build are own stuff for the prop scope
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-12-23 02:04
    hover I agree it would be nice to have a development board with the connector ,, You know I was wondering is this the same connector used on the Basic Stamp board of education?? If it is did they make an experimenter blank board for the BoeBot that would work for us??

I really want to figure out how to get my project schematics turned into real boards I went and bought Eagle Pro I can draw my schematic but that's it.. Someone should do a sticky post outlining a simple how to so we can have our own boards made I Was told it fairly inexpensive
    to have a few boards made as long as they are 2 layer and not to complicated I was figuring by the time I buy blank boards and all my wire wrap supplies and wire wrap sockets I bet it would be cheaper to just have boards made and I have some really awesome designs well awesome to me lol

Post Edited (mikediv) : 12/23/2009 2:11:20 AM GMT
    edited 2009-12-23 03:23
    I think you are refering to the AppMod connector. It is 20 pin where the PropScope is 26 pin.

I am trying to whip something up in ExpressPCB right now. I·think I can get 6 proto boards out of the 3 board minimum at $51.00, (2 proto's per board with the same footprint as the Propscope DAC card.)·May be about $10 each with shipping.

I would like to add some SMT to it, so it may take a little longer.

Jim
    mikediv said...
    hover I agree it would be nice to have a development board with the connector ,, You know I was wondering is this the same connector used on the Basic Stamp board of education?? If it is did they make an experimenter blank board for the BoeBot that would work for us??

I really want to figure out how to get my project schematics turned into real boards I went and bought Eagle Pro I can draw my schematic but that's it.. Someone should do a sticky post outlining a simple how to so we can have our own boards made I Was told it fairly inexpensive
    to have a few boards made as long as they are 2 layer and not to complicated I was figuring by the time I buy blank boards and all my wire wrap supplies and wire wrap sockets I bet it would be cheaper to just have boards made and I have some really awesome designs well awesome to me lol
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-12-24 03:47
    Hover you are right sir, I was just looking at the connector really quick it sort of looked like the cards I use for the BoeBot connector but after really examining it the prop scope card is larger
    I would love to get one so let me know if you plan on selling any I would just like a few blank cards to make up my own circuits I don't even know what I would build just looking forward I guess lol
    edited 2010-01-28 00:42
    I have done some simple layouts, but because the firmware is closed, I have not gone any further at this time.

Since this·is Hanno's software, I think it is only fair to let him reap the·good fortunes of offering add-on boards. He has done so much for the·Propeller community, it's time he got something in return.

Jim
    wastehl said...
    Any news on any of these boards?

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2010-01-28 01:59
    I hope Hanno makes a lot of add-on's, and sells a ton of them, for the connector.

If all you want to do is experiment, get a 26 pin (2x13) right angle make connector, and a prototyping board (like my Proteus) that will take such a connector.

Then experiment to your heart's content!
    mikediv said...
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com E-mail: mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com 5.0" VGA LCD in stock!
    Morpheus dual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, Mem+2MB memory/IO kit $89.95, both kits $189.95 SerPlug $9.95
    Propteus and Proteus for Propeller prototyping 6.250MHz custom Crystals run Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler Largos - upcoming nano operating system
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2010-01-28 02:31
    Thanks Jim and Bill!
    Parallax has done a great job with the PropScope hardware and the plan was for them to offer additional expansion cards, for example additional LSA channels. I'm busy enough supporting my various software projects, so I won't sell any add-on hardware myself. I have made good progress on the Bode plot software, but it still needs a bit more time to mature. The PropScope hardware is completely open source- David has done a good job documenting everything there. While the firmware is closed, it's easy to program the PropScope from the Propeller Tool- and the PropScope application automatically loads the firmware when it starts up.

If you want to support my work encourage others to try out 12Blocks and ViewPort! See my signature...
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    12Blocks, the block-based programming environment (thread here)
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2010-02-09 05:33
    So there still isn't a breakout board for the Prop Scope? I could potentially cook something up in an hour or two. I am gathering ideas and PCB designs for another order in a week or two.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2010-02-09 18:02
    Go for it Tim! I'm a little busy right now to see this through.· Don't forget to include an AT24C02 EEPROM or similar.

Jim
    Timothy D. Swieter said...
    So there still isn't a breakout board for the Prop Scope? I could potentially cook something up in an hour or two. I am gathering ideas and PCB designs for another order in a week or two.

• Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2010-12-22 08:17
    Anyone get anywhere with this?

I found myself needing a fast ADC , and was thinking of putting a few channels(w-bnc) onto a propscope addon.
    edited 2010-12-22 13:36
    Hey Clock,

I never did pursue that project. I did start an Express PCB layout for a simple ProtoBoard.

It sounds like you would need a bottom up design if you where going for fast ADC, custom circuit, (separate ground planes, optimized traces, etc.).

Here's a start. You can fit 2 Propscope breakout boards on the Express PCB MiniBoard format.

Jim

Clock Loop wrote: »
    Anyone get anywhere with this?

I found myself needing a fast ADC , and was thinking of putting a few channels(w-bnc) onto a propscope addon.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2010-12-23 06:02
    Yea I figured id have my hands full over something like this, I am mostly looking for info, datasheets, etc on this interface, and the signals. I would also like to see the info for the add on board that parallax sells with the scope. It would help me understand what this interface is capable of.

A screen shot of that pcb file in your program would help me best.

Also any datasheets, schematics, data info etc would help.

Found stuff.

Schematic:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/PropScope_ASchematic.pdf

Code Thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118621-Preliminary-documentation-for-creating-custom-PropScope-Firmware

Protocol:
    Here is v0.8...
    http://hannoware.com/propscope/protocol.pdf

zip.gifPreliminary - PropScope Firmware Specifications and Schematics.zip

Pdf versions:
    zip.gifPreliminary - PropScope Firmware Specifications and Schematics PDF.zip

zip.gifPropScope Firmware Specifications v0.9.zip
    edited 2010-12-23 06:14
    Specs and schematics posted in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118621-Preliminary-documentation-for-creating-custom-PropScope-Firmware

Open Office and Inkscape format. Post #10 has the PDF versions.

Jim

Edit: I see you found them!
    Clock Loop wrote: »
    Yea I figured id have my hands full over something like this, I am mostly looking for info, datasheets, etc on this interface, and the signals. I would also like to see the info for the add on board that parallax sells with the scope. It would help me understand what this interface is capable of.

A screen shot of that pcb file in your program would help me best.

Also any datasheets, schematics, data info etc would help.