Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie with dilemma — Parallax Forums

Newbie with dilemma

LinusBLinusB Posts: 1
edited 2009-12-22 14:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hi gang...I've wanted to enter the world of robotics for many years. I have some vintage programming background (comp-sci drop out in the late 80's) and was once a very good basic/pascal progammer so I'm confident in my aptitude on the programming side. I have no electrical or engineering background.

With that being said, my aim is to build something of an autonomous security robot for indoors that can stream live video and also be controlled remotely via web. I'm thinking that a robot using some combination of bluetooth and maybe a wireless camera can achieve my goal.

I've been reading a lot at www.societyofrobots.com and had convinced myself to build from scratch my first robot. After having already ordered some parts, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed now by the idea and think that maybe a board already built is the way to go. I guess with parts on the way I have nothing to lose by trying but I want to have a contingency plan in place because I want to be able to get a functioning robot so as to experiment as soon as possible.

So saying all that...what are the pros/cons of the basic stamp vs. a board built around the ATMega8? I know the basic stamp has a built in BASIC interpreter and that does appeal to me...but otherwise, from the perspective of components that can be used and all around versatility...how do these compare? SHould I be looking at one of Parallax's other products as well other than the BASIC stamp?

Look forward to your input!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-12-22 14:38
    I suggest looking at the Propeller chip!· The Propeller is used on the Stingray robot.· It has 8 cogs that allow you to have 8 operations running at the same time without any glitches.· The speed works out to be 160MIPs.· There are three languages to choose from which are Spin (object oriented), assembly, and "C".· There is a charge for the·"C" language, which cost $99.00.· The Propeller can be used to generate sound and video as well.· Here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·