Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial to PWM generator — Parallax Forums

Serial to PWM generator

Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
edited 2009-12-20 05:12 in BASIC Stamp
OK time for my second robot!

I am using a home automation processor (Crestron) because of its simplicity to program. Anyways this processor has 8 serial ports 8 i/o ports and 8 low voltage relays. I am simply trying to convert a serial signal to a PWM signal. I was thinking of using a BS2 to do this or is there any premade converters to do this? I am really excited about this project ! devil.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-19 20:11
    What do you want to use the PWM generator for? If it's needed to drive servos, use a servo controller like the Propeller Servo Controller. For other uses of PWM, look at the PWMpal.
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2009-12-19 20:27
    I have IFI Motor Controllers that need a PWM input. The only output I have from my processor is serial. Will the PWM Pal work or is there something easier to use?
    edited 2009-12-19 20:32
    You didn't say what motor controller you plan to use, but the ones I saw on the IFI website all accept R/C servo control signals which the Propeller Servo Controller is designed to produce. You could use a PWMpal, but the Propeller Servo Controller is easier to use and more flexible.
  • Scott PortocarreroScott Portocarrero Posts: 72
    edited 2009-12-20 01:42
    Thanks for your reply Mike. The Propeller Servo Controller seems to be a perfect solution but it is USB. Is there a Serial Version?
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-12-20 02:11
    Scott Portocarrero

Take a look at FTDI chips on the Parallax home page. Their down at the bottom of the home page.

In modern day radio this is called a "Double revers Zobbie Da on the USB gimmick." This is when one goes round and round with a serial link.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
    edited 2009-12-20 05:12
    The Propeller Servo Controller comes with both a USB (serial) interface and a logic-level serial interface. Please look at the documentation:

www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/MotorServoControllers/tabid/160/CategoryID/35/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/595/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName