Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Very ill list member, Bruce Bates — Parallax Forums

Very ill list member, Bruce Bates

John BoyleJohn Boyle Posts: 3
edited 2009-12-18 09:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I used to be active on the old maillist, several years ago.
Today, I received a very distressing phone call from a friend, the wife of a
currently active forum member.· She asked me to post this.

Member Bruce Bates, a long time friend, is hospitalized in New Jersey in
very critical condition in a medically induced coma, on a ventilator, and
undergoing dialysis as his kidneys have shut down.

I know Bruce has many friends and acquaintences on the forum.
For those of belief, his wife Diana asks that you keep him in your prayers.

If you would like to contact Diana, please communicate with me off the list
by email at kb3cny(at)comcast.net, or if you'd like to call her (she sure
could use the support) just request her phone number from me.
If you would like to speak with me first, I'll pass along my phone number
via personal·email.

John J. Boyle
KB3CNY
Plains, PA

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-12-17 06:39
    Dear John,

Thank you for sharing this information. I'm familiar with the medical situation you describe from family incidents and understand the seriousness of the situation.

This is very sad news to hear. We've known Bruce at Parallax for as long as I can remember - at least back to 1996. Bruce has been very helpful to BASIC Stamp users on our YahooGroup (and eGroup prior to that), as well as this forum. He's sent us countless e-mails with suggestions, support, ideas, and just plain appreciation through the years - never asking for anything in exchange. Perhaps the first time I communicated with Bruce he told me about going to the Dayton Hamfest (reaching back on this memory). He's made over 3K posts on this forum, and at least twice that on our prior e-mail forums. Bruce is a very reasonable and consistent person, and has helped many people with their questions in a friendly manner. All of the Parallax people who've been around for ten years know about Bruce.

Parallax will prepare a card for his wife Diana tomorrow, as well as a gift. I'll contact you to verify the current New Jersey address we have for the Bates family.

Bruce and his family will be in our prayers and thoughts through the Christmas holidays.

Thank you very much for making the effort to share his condition with the forum members.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    KI6HBT
  • John BoyleJohn Boyle Posts: 3
    edited 2009-12-17 06:57
    Hi Ken,

I have the info waiting for you.
    I'm sure Diana will appreciate your kindness.

I'll be monitoring my email for your contact.

Thanks.

73, John KB3CNY
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2009-12-17 07:12
    I too am very saddened to hear about Bruce's condition. I remember well the tenor of his clearly worded explanations, his listening ability, and his wide ranging interests, both in his contributions to the list here and also in personal emails that I've exchanged with him through the years.

How quickly time slips by in absence! I see that Bruce's posts were very infrequent after this season about one year ago. It made me draw in a long breath, that in his most recent post last May 6th he gave a link to my web site and a thanks to me. Wow! I wish I had seen that before. Well, hey, Bruce, my hat is off to you. Even though it sounds very serious, I do hold out hope that Bruce will pull through this dark period and will regain his strength and mental faculties.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2009-12-17 07:59
    This is very sad news indeed... I feel as though Bruce is very much part of our family too and I can only re-iterate what has already been said.

Our prayers will be with you and your family my friend.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-12-17 13:00
    Well, I haven't been here that long, but long enough to remember Bruce helping me out. I appreciated it, and I'm sorry to hear about his health problems.
    I'm sending along my best wishes and hopes as well.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-12-17 13:13
    John,

Please pass on my regards to Bruce's family.

I went through a very similar hospitalization in the Fall of 2007 and my wife was comforted by emails from folks here on the the Forum. It really is the little kindnesses that count!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • J. H. RollinsJ. H. Rollins Posts: 9
    edited 2009-12-17 14:15
    ·I am truly sorry to hear about Bruce's medical problem.

·He will be in my prayers..

·J. H. Rollins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    HR
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-12-18 03:34
    John--

Bruce is in my prayers.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-12-18 09:20
    I am saddened to hear of this news. Bruce and I had corresponded in 2008 and we shared many ideas and fascinating thoughts. He was instrumental in proofreading Penguin Tech Magazine and shared much technical information and when combined with his wit and humor, remained a great inspiration. He will be in my prayers and I hope he can pull through.

humanoido