Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maze Questions — Parallax Forums

Maze Questions

dkristopherwdkristopherw Posts: 3
edited 2009-12-16 13:28 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Please move this topic if it is supposed to be in another forum.

Problem:

The Boe-Bot constantly hugs the walls of the maze, and the IR detectors are seeing to far ahead, causing the Boe-Bot to turn to early. I do not know the values to change in order to solve this problem. I'm trying to do the maze with both the maze code found here:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/?f=6&m=341331&g=341331

And the RoamingWithIr.bs2 code.

I tried writing my own code for the maze, but I do not have a full understanding of the coding that the Boe-Bot uses. I would appreciate any help in furthering my understand of the code.

Details:

The maze contains 90-degree turns as well as a curved wall. Over the top of the maze is a small overhang that holds the maze together, and runs through its center length wise. I'm using the 2000-2007 Rev-C Boe-Bot. I have the BASIC Stamp Editor 2.1.

I will provide the measurements of the maze if you like.

I know the basics of the programming, but I think this maze requires a bit better understanding.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-12-14 17:37
    To reduce the distance that the LED sees you can put in a higher value series resistor on the LED.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
  • dkristopherwdkristopherw Posts: 3
    edited 2009-12-15 13:09
    Thanks for the suggestion SRLM

My partner tried this, however the IR detectors stopped working completely when the resistors were strengthened. Is their a resistance cap? What would be the best strength for a maze? Could something be wrong with the Boe-Bot?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-15 15:24
    You can increase the resistance value to reduce the brightness of the LED or you can change the frequency of the LED signal (FREQOUT) to reduce the sensitivity of the detector to the LED's light. Resistors commonly available come in values roughly 10% apart and you'll just have to try different values. You can use Ohm's Law to figure out the amounts of current involved. The documentation for the IR detector gives a graph for the detector's sensitivity vs. the modulation frequency of the light and that will give you some idea of how that changes with frequency. Again, you'll have to experiment, changing the frequency a little bit at a time. Try writing just a small program using the distance sensing code from your program that lights a visible LED when an object is detected, then experiment with different values that way until you get the range you're looking for.
  • dkristopherwdkristopherw Posts: 3
    edited 2009-12-16 13:28
    The problem is no longer relevant. Thank you for your help though.