Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem/question about LCD — Parallax Forums

problem/question about LCD

Steve60Steve60 Posts: 4
edited 2009-12-14 23:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

·My LCD works with the self test feature but then fails when I use it in a program.
·In my program all I get is a cursor·which appears on the·left hand side·and doesn't blink.
·I copied program and settings from the Smart sensors manual and I've checked wiring, code,
and settings many times so I'm sure they're correct.

I'm using the Basic Stamp 2, Rev c.

Are there any other possibilities other than hardware malfunction, or is there any thing
else I can check or test to help determine the problem?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-11 04:22
    What kind of LCD do you have? How do you have it hooked up? When something works by itself (self-test), then doesn't work when you have it hooked up to a controller, the problem is usually how you have it hooked up. Start with the simplest possible program that will demonstrate whether the LCD-controller combination works. There are some simple demonstration programs with links on the product page for each of the Parallax LCDs.
  • Steve60Steve60 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-12-12 03:12
    Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Steve
    edited 2009-12-12 16:37
    Thanks again! My LCD is working now. I swear it's hooked up exactly as it was
    when I wrote my first note, and I had checked and rechecked... but,· i did it one
    more time and now it's working.

Not sure I'll know what was wrong but the problem was most likely operator error.

I appreciate the help.

Steve
    edited 2009-12-14 23:14
    As it turns out, I think I am having a Bs2 problem, with pin 14 stuck on logic high. I've checked the other pins and each appears to work.
    As far as I can tell this is the only problem. I first noticed this problem when I couldn't get my LCD to work and since then I've done
    some tests with a simple LED program. When an LED is connected to p14 it stays on all the time. LOW 14 has no effect, nor does reset or
    turning off and then on.

I've been using my Bs2 for several years and to my knowledge this is the first problem I've had. The only thing I'm doing new is running the
    editor on a 64 bit processor (hp notebook) and using a Parallax usb to rs-232 serial adapter.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Steve