Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project Idea--Heart Rate Monitor which sends emergency text message w/ GPS coor — Parallax Forums

Project Idea--Heart Rate Monitor which sends emergency text message w/ GPS coor

frank29frank29 Posts: 1
edited 2010-10-12 16:56 in BASIC Stamp
I have this project idea: it is a device with a heart rate monitor and a GPS enabled cell phone. If the person wearing this device has an abnormal heart rate, it will send an automatic text message w/ GPS coordinates to 911 or whoever. If the person is jogging in a remote area, they can be found and treated. Would I be able to put together a device like this using the Basic STAMP chip as the microcontroller / intermediary? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-09 19:54
    You could put together a demonstration project like this using a Stamp as the microcontroller, but a lot depends on the external circuitry used to actually produce the heart rate information. A Stamp is not going to be able to do any kind of signal analysis. It's just not fast enough nor does it have enough memory for that. The best it could do would be to do some smoothing of the pulse information to reduce noise.

What do you have in mind for the heart rate detection? That's crucial. Are you going to hack some kind of exercise heart rate monitor? That would solve a lot of issues like what kind of detector to use, how to design it electronically, how to design it to fit and stay on during exercise.· What would be an abnormal heart rate? What about false triggering? Who pays the bills when there's a false alarm?

It should be possible to control a GPS enabled cell phone. If you're going to use a Stamp, I suggest using a BS2px. That has scratchpad RAM, more program storage, and more speed than a BS2.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 12/9/2009 7:59:58 PM GMT
  • RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2009-12-09 19:57
    Look into the fine print. On all the micros I've seen there's been a warning that it should not be used in life-critical equipment.

Consider Mr. Smith, out jogging with your equipment. He has a massive heart attack and is gone before he hits the ground. His grieving wife calls a lawyer, and you are in Big Trouble, especially if the lawyer finds you were using a micro which you should NOT be using. (Hopefully, you have incorporated your self/company, or you WILL lose everything.)

Can it be done? Probably.
    Is it worth the cost? I do not think so.

--Rich

P.S., I am not a lawyer, nor am I the son of one. Heck, I've never even played at being one. So, check with a real attorney.
  • MasoudSafiMasoudSafi Posts: 1
    edited 2010-10-12 16:56
    Rich has a good point, but these boards are great for proof of concept, so don't be discouraged from experimenting, but you will have to manufacture it using a company that specializes in things like this.

It's a great idea, but there may already be devices like that in the market. Some due diligence will be in order.