Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What to buy to start off? — Parallax Forums

What to buy to start off?

ShrimpTunaShrimpTuna Posts: 1
edited 2009-12-08 20:55 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi

I have a project in mind that I would like to accomplish but I have very little knowledge in electronics(I'm a programmer), so I'm looking for a kit to start off with to learn.
Since I live in the Middle East though I am looking for the most inclusive kit.

Which kit would be the best to get to start off with? I was thinking of buying the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit and maybe one of the sensors kits... Woul that be good? I'm looking to learn as much as I can while hopefully only sending a few hundred dollars.

Thanks.

Comments

• Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2009-12-08 18:54
    The Home Work Board is a great and fast way to get in to Stamps .

And the Little book is a life saver !
    you can get it at most Radio shacks ..

But If you want to use a a normal DIP Stamp and not a " embedded" one the Board Of Education "BOE" is better ..

PS ..Thank you Who took care of the dubble post .. smilewinkgrin.gif (I hate when it happens ..)

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL

Post Edited (Peter KG6LSE) : 12/8/2009 7:15:28 PM GMT
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-12-08 20:55
    Hi ShrimpTuna,

The BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit is a great way to get started with electronics. The What's a Microcontroller book will introduce basic electronics concepts and give you the foundation you need to start designing and building your own circuits. If you would like, you can download a free copy of the text here.

If you are thinking about continuing with sensors, the Smart Sensor and Applications Kit would be an excellent choice. This text was originally written to be "What's a Microcontroller, Part 2," and contains a lot of nifty information about how to interface the BASIC Stamp 2 to a variety of sensors. Just like What's a Microcontroller, the full text can be downloaded for free here.

Happy Developing!

-- Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax Inc.