Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Life expectancy of EEPROM — Parallax Forums

Life expectancy of EEPROM

Julie in TexasJulie in Texas Posts: 21
edited 2009-12-07 20:11 in BASIC Stamp
How many "write" cycles is the EEPROM on a Stamp good for? Millions? Billions? Forever?

I've tried finding the information, but can't find that key parameter.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-07 15:03
    If you look at the schematic given on Parallax's website for the BS2 for example, it shows that the BS2 uses a 24LC16 EEPROM. Microchip's datasheet for this part shows that it's specified for at least 1,000,000 write/erase cycles. Other manufacturers of this part have similar "wear" characteristics and the larger EEPROMs used in other Stamp models also have similar "wear" characteristics.
  • Julie in TexasJulie in Texas Posts: 21
    edited 2009-12-07 16:28
    Mike Green said...
    If you look at the schematic given on Parallax's website for the BS2 for example, it shows that the BS2 uses a 24LC16 EEPROM. Microchip's datasheet for this part shows that it's specified for at least 1,000,000 write/erase cycles. Other manufacturers of this part have similar "wear" characteristics and the larger EEPROMs used in other Stamp models also have similar "wear" characteristics.

Thanks -- I'm fairly new to this particular collection of hardware.

Is there an easy (meaning, on the order of "READ" and "WRITE" easy) PBASIC way to access a serial SRAM that's connected to some collection of I/O pins? My application updates several words of EEPROM memory once a second and I'd prefer for the devices I'm prototyping to be good for more than 11 days before reaching that "at least 1,000,000" limit. A small serial SRAM would do the trick.

I intend to eventually do a full-on custom PIC, but the Stamps will get me through hardware prototyping (and with serial SRAM, early hardware release) in the meantime.
    edited 2009-12-07 16:49
    The simplest way to do this would be to use a RTC chip that includes a small amount of SRAM. These are designed to use a backup battery to retain the memory contents when the board's power is off and there's already code available. The easiest one to use with a Stamp is the DS1302 which includes 31 bytes of RAM (www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/rtc/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/233/Default.aspx). The Nuts and Volts Columns #33 and #34 also discuss this chip and include examples of its use (www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/NutsVoltsVolume1/tabid/444/Default.aspx). See page 375 of #33 near the bottom of the page for the statements required to access any location in the DS1302.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 12/7/2009 4:58:00 PM GMT
    edited 2009-12-07 17:11
    Mike Green said...
    The simplest way to do this would be to use a RTC chip that includes a small amount of SRAM. These are designed to use a backup battery to retain the memory contents when the board's power is off and there's already code available. The easiest one to use with a Stamp is the DS1302 which includes 31 bytes of RAM (www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/rtc/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/233/Default.aspx). The Nuts and Volts Columns #33 and #34 also discuss this chip and include examples of its use (www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/NutsVoltsVolume1/tabid/444/Default.aspx). See page 375 of #33 near the bottom of the page for the statements required to access any location in the DS1302.

RTC chips aren't RAM enough, although having a clock on board might be handy. Something else I can add to my growing list of "Things I'm going to MUX/DEMUX along the way."

(And battery backup is something I hope to avoid -- these devices are going to be monitoring power systems. If they don't have electricity, they have far bigger problems.)
    edited 2009-12-07 17:21
    The next best option is the Microchip 23K256 SPI SRAM. These are 32K SRAMs. There's no ready-to-go code for the Stamps, but you'd use the same SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT statements to access it. It's a bit more complex to use than the DS1302 since you have to send a command byte, then an address. The datasheet is pretty complete in terms of what to send to the chip and what you get back.
    edited 2009-12-07 17:47
    Thanks!

32K is probably more than I could ever hope to use, but my brain is already thinking of uses!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-12-07 20:03
    I think they're physically small, and you don't have to use the whole thing.
    edited 2009-12-07 20:11
    allanlane5 said...
    I think they're physically small, and you don't have to use the whole thing.

I don't HAVE to ... but that doesn't mean I won't [noparse];)[/noparse]

My first computer had 1KB of RAM. I've used "small" before, and I can code in "small" fairly well. But having owned PCs with as much as 16GB of RAM, I'm tired of "small".