Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Relay operating at 10mhz? — Parallax Forums

Relay operating at 10mhz?

Is it possible to have a BS2 to control a solid state relay to generate a 10mhz signal?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-07 00:01
    No

1) Commercial SSRs are designed for switching 60Hz power. They are not fast enough to switch anywhere near 10MHz.

2) A BS2 is not fast enough to control anything at 10MHz. The execution time of very simple operations is on the order of 100us.

I strongly suggest that you begin to read datasheets and manufacturer's specifications. You're asking questions that you should be able to start answering for yourself with the information readily available over the Internet. Parallax has a webpage that compares different Stamp models and lists the execution speed of the various Stamps in table form. It lists the speed of the BS2 as around 4,000 instructions per second. That would answer your 2nd question immediately. If you were to search for solid state relays using Google, you'd find some major manufacturers like Crydom. In their datasheets, they indicate that their AC SSRs will work up to 400Hz, but with several times the leakage current found at 60Hz. That implies that faster may be even worse. Their DC SSRs switch on in roughly 1ms and off in roughly 1/3ms. You figure the math.

Next question you have, do a little research first and, if you don't understand what you find, ask about that too. You'll learn more and you'll be able to ask better questions.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 12/7/2009 12:20:29 AM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-12-07 14:43
    And why did you think you needed to generate a 10 Mhz signal?
  • Julie in TexasJulie in Texas Posts: 21
    edited 2009-12-07 17:18
    Depending on why you think you need to control a 10MHz signal, and how often you need to turn the signal on and off, there are plenty of ways to control a 10MHz signal. But all of them require more information as to what you're doing.

The easiest way to control a 10MHz signal from a slow processor is to generate the signal externally (fairly easy) then use another device to control the signal being present or not. For that, I'd suggest you add an AND gate DIP as an external package. Feed the 10MHz signal to one input, then connection an I/O pin to the other side of the AND gate. The result will be 10MHz when the I/O pin is asserted ("ON" or "1") and nothing otherwise.

As for all the other comments -- learn to read data sheets, and familiarize yourself with the entire 74xx serial of TTL chips.

And to certain commenters, learn to think outside the box.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-12-07 17:43
    Why thank you, Julie, for the constructive criticism. It's just I usually find advice to be more helpful when one actually understands what the person is trying to accomplish.

But I liked your answer too.
  • Julie in TexasJulie in Texas Posts: 21
    edited 2009-12-07 17:56
    allanlane5 said...
    Why thank you, Julie, for the constructive criticism. It's just I usually find advice to be more helpful when one actually understands what the person is trying to accomplish.

I do as well, but sometimes an "outside the box" suggestion is needed to move the discussion in a direction that leads to a solution. It's very unlikely that a 10MHz signal is needed for anything that also requires a SSR. There are a LOT of solutions in lower power spaces. Just gotta pick one.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote]But I liked your answer too.

Glad I was able to provide something useful!
  • kevin asatokevin asato Posts: 4
    edited 2009-12-13 05:13
    Problem with trying to switch a relay at 10MHz does not depend upon the Basic Stamp.

1) It is possible to saturate the relay coil such that it will hold only one state (permanently magnetized until the current is removed) as it was not designed to switch at 10MHz. Additional filtering will have to be applied to the relay coil to reduce voltage transients from back feeding into the power supply which can harm the control electronics.

2) Relay contacts were not designed to switch at a 10MHz rate. Along with problem 1), this could cause relay contacts to arc over, depending upon the current and voltage being switched. This can cause problems in the control electronics as the arcing can induce voltage transients in the power supply both upstream and downstream of the relay.

3) Much easier to design stand alone logic to switch/oscillate at 10MHz. 5VDC crystal oscillator modules already exist for less than $10 (Jameco) to establish your timebase. You will probably end up using a high power transistor to perform the switching. Again, you will have to have filtering to control the RFI and EMI generated by the switching logic.

Why a relay????

kevin
    kc6pob
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-12-13 07:33
    I think there's a difference between the question Andy wants an answer to and the question he asked. If you replace "generate" in his question with "gate", it makes a lot more sense, and I'm betting it's what he meant.

-Phil
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2009-12-13 09:51
    Well, if you really look at the question, 10 millihertz isn't all that fast...
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-12-13 10:50
    Ha! Good point! smile.gif

-P.