Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Echo on Board — Parallax Forums

No Echo on Board

VanceVance Posts: 2
edited 2009-12-04 04:02 in BASIC Stamp
Port: Have tried on both COM1 and COM2
Device Type:Homework Board Rev D
Version: Board: BS2 Program: 2.4.2 (One that came on the Disk)
Loopback:Yes
Echo:No

I have used this board and serial cable before on this machine but do not know why it is failing now.

I have also tried turning the FIFO on and off for the Ports.

Any ideas or more questions I can answer?

Post Edited (Vance) : 12/4/2009 4:07:25 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-12-04 00:00
    Might be a lame question, but have you checked the power supply?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-12-04 00:45
    Actually, loopback and echo will work even if there's no power to the Stamp. If you look at the connection diagrams in the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual, you'll see that two of the RS232 connections are tied together. I think they're CTS and RTS, but I may be wrong. Anyway, that's what's checked for "loopback". Internal to the Stamp, the receive line is connected so that it affects the transmit line so that anything sent to the Stamp is echoed back to the PC. That's what's checked for "echo" and it doesn't require power to the Stamp. The Stamp needs to be running for identification and downloading to take place and the ATN line (connected to DTR) has to work as well in order to reset the Stamp's processor so that it can converse with the PC to identify itself.
  • VanceVance Posts: 2
    edited 2009-12-04 04:02
    Mike2545 said...
    Might be a lame question, but have you checked the power supply?

Yes, the program that's on it now runs like it did when I first put it on. Its a 4 cell AA battery pack that I enjoy using because it has an on off switch.