Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sending acquired data across networks.. — Parallax Forums

Sending acquired data across networks..

acforsteracforster Posts: 3
edited 2009-11-30 15:45 in BASIC Stamp
I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and can't help but think there's an easy way that I haven't come across.

I'm using a BS2 on a USB / BOE in conjunction with the Parallax GPS module...I can read the GPS data into the Stamp Editor, but what I really need to do is parse the GPS coordinates and send them across the internet to a remote database.

Can I funnel the data to a text file with a BASIC directive and read it with another app?

Ideally I could write a java / c++ app to read in this data and send it across the network (I'd love Perl, ruby, python also). Any advice regarding something along these lines? I'm a bit short on time (about a week) so I'm hoping the solution isn't terribly involved, but I'll do what I must.

I've got OSX and Vista handy, is there a way in OSX to just read the raw USB data via terminal? Haven't found a solution for that either.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-30 01:09
    You can read the same data that you get in the serial editor in any program that is capable of doing serial communications. The stamp editor is just monitoring the port you have the stamp connected to and other programs can do the same (but not at the same time.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • acforsteracforster Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-30 14:19
    I think I should rephrase a bit. I know the data received from the BS2 is just standard serial data, but I'm hoping to find a previous implementation of source code to read that data, rather than design one from scratch. Does anyone here use software like that?
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-11-30 14:56
    One technique I've used is to let the Stamp do a bit of parsing of the GPS data then send it out the serial port.

On the receiving end, just run Hyperterminal with the save-to-file option turned on. In my application I used a radio link from the Stamp/GPS back to a laptop.

The resulting file can be looked at with a text editor or loaded into Excel.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • acforsteracforster Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-30 15:03
    Thanks, I'll have to try Hyperterminal now then. Most of my computers are OSX, so I was leaning towards finding a solution with one of those, but whatever works.

Thanks again.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-30 15:45
    ZTerm and CoolTerm are free terminal emulators for OSX that would serve the same purpose as HyperTerminal. Do a Google search for their names or use something like MacUpdate to download them.