Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum moderator question/ or anyone — Parallax Forums

Forum moderator question/ or anyone

Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
edited 2009-11-29 17:34 in BASIC Stamp
Why doesn't Parallax give software·code examples for sensors such as the compass module, and/or all the sensors they sell, ·showing the code for simple movement or action of something such as a motor, servo, light blinking, so customers can assimilate these into·their ideas? "Most", but not all,·of the code given pertains to debug or measure, and leaves lots of potential customers hanging to figure out·what to do after debugging or measuring.·Just wondering.

I suspect many members are not software experts and certainly not as proficient as Parallax software engineers.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The smarter I get, the more I understand I don't know!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-27 21:46
    Most of the products that Parallax sells DO have sample code that will allow someone to test the device and they also have manuals and publications on using these items. There is also a repository of articles from Nuts and Volts magazine you and others could read. If after all of this help and the help you can get from the forums you still can't do what you want and don't want to try on your own perhaps the products here are not for you. In my opinion Parallax does more for it's customers than any other company I have ever have done business with.

Please read, study and learn then go out and do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
    edited 2009-11-27 21:55
    I'll be darned if I can find an application on gps, memsic, and compass that will take it to the move motor, blink lights, or move servo mode. Please point me or give me a clue to the link.

Thanks for your reply

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-11-27 22:01
    And yes, I totally agree with Franklin that Parallax is a great company with great staff. But that isn't the issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-11-27 22:20
    Hi Let's Go!

(Love that airplane - used to fuel one like it everyday years ago.)

Use PhiPi's forum search tool, you'll find lots of samples or chunks of code - can't say for sure that all the items you're looking for are covered, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.

http://www.phipi.com/forum/

HTH
    - Howard
    (the Props that are counterrotating are not made by Parallax, btw [noparse]:)[/noparse]

forum

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-11-27 22:32
    Thanks, I always wanted to be a shoemaker. I'll check out the site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-11-28 01:39
    @Let's Go!

I think what Parallax gives is more than sufficient. The notable thing about the code that they post is that it will work for anybody who has the device, regardless of the setup (pin numbers may change, but that's not much, and most require a serial connection but that is present in all beginner setups). If they started providing code that does more than show the functionality of the device then they would have to make assumptions about the use of the device, assumptions on what the physical setup is, and so on. Since it is more complex they would then have to provide support for the support.

What you are asking for is not for more documentations on a product. You're looking for completed projects that use the product in a creative way. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it's something that Parallax should provide. The people in the community who create the projects have the decision to open them up and share them or not. Mostly it's a case of just finding the project, which might mean looking further than Parallax microcontrollers.

Finally, a point about software. IMHO, (external) hardware matters less and less the more code that you have. Once you start abstracting, it doesn't matter if your distance sensor is a Ping or a Maxbotics or a Polulu or a Sharp IR or a $10,000 LRF. All that matters is that you have a variable with some value that shows the distance. Once you get to that point then any reflection on the hardware is lost. m2c.
    edited 2009-11-28 10:47
    that makes a lot of sense. as an innovator and idea man, i would like to avoid being a full time programmer to learn the code as well as the pros. and like you say, one must think twice prior to sharing total code. i can take what's given, piece it together, and usually get to the end, but it's a struggle at times. in fact, i have concluded the mechanics are the most time consuming aspect of innovation.

but i would still like to see a light blinking after taking that debug and measurement from the memsis. it would show me how to handle the data with the measurement.it would only speed up the innovtion process for me, and maybe a couple others.

thanks for the input.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MichelBMichelB Posts: 154
    edited 2009-11-28 12:50
    Let's Go! said...
    Why doesn't Parallax give software·code examples for sensors such as the compass module, and/or all the sensors they sell, ·showing the code for simple movement or action of something such as a motor, servo, light blinking, so customers can assimilate these into·their ideas? "Most", but not all,·of the code given pertains to debug or measure, and leaves lots of potential customers hanging to figure out·what to do after debugging or measuring.·Just wondering.
    Let's Go, you are right. For example, if GyroDemo-Archive.zip (spin) is "translated" in bs2 I'll buy it, if not...No.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-11-28 20:40
    Let's Go! said...
    Why doesn't Parallax give software code examples for sensors such as the compass module, and/or all the sensors they sell, showing the code for simple movement or action of something such as a motor, servo, light blinking, so customers can assimilate these into their ideas? "Most", but not all, of the code given pertains to debug or measure, and leaves lots of potential customers hanging to figure out what to do after debugging or measuring. Just wondering.

Sensors are not meant to blink lights or move servos. All they do is sense something and provide a value. The demo code uses that value by displaying it.

Have you looked at "What's a Microcontroller"? Parallax provides a lot of documentation for using their products. Look here as well.

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster.
    edited 2009-11-29 17:34
    Thanks for the input.

May we all be so good as to create a loyal customer following in our endeavors as Parallax has!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔