Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
max 1270 — Parallax Forums

max 1270

huibhuib Posts: 2
edited 2009-11-27 01:05 in BASIC Stamp
Dear all,

At the monent I am working on a small project with uses an AD Converter MAX1270.

I have found different programs and schematic for this, but till now i was not able to get it working
If i look on the makers instruction i find a different layout than other on this forum

Can somebody indicates where i can find a (working) schema for the Max1270 with an bsxII

your assistance is highly appriciated

Regards

Huib

·

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-11-26 14:44
    The MAX1270 is used in the Stamp_PLC, but, uncharacteristically, there is no schematic of that product available.

A·"bsxII"?· Is that a Parallax product or some knock-off?

Provide details.
  • huibhuib Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-26 16:34
    No it is just a matter of typing to quick
    It should have been BS2sx instead

however the question remains the same;

on certain schematic is mentioned that:
    a) vdd / shdn to ground two (0.1 uF and 10 uF)
    ref to ground one 4.7 uF
    refadj to ground 0.1uF
    b) vdd / shdn to ground one capacitor (0.1 uF)
    ref to ground one 4.7 uF
    refadj to ground 10 nF
    and the 3rd
    c) between shdn and cs a resistor of 4.7k
    ref to ground 4.7 uF+
    refadj to ground 0.1 uF
    and from the makers MAXIM it looks like option b)

in all cases i get no data out of the max1270

(or did i just have killed the unit?)

so for that reason i was hoping to get a working schematic from somebody

kind regards
    huib
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-11-27 01:05
    I look at the data sheet and it· look very much like the MAX186 in way you call up each channel
    I just wrote a Demo code for it give this a try and let me know if this work
    I order some free sample of the MAX1270 and I will them a try my self as well

·This table is the same for the MAX 186 part of what is posted below is from the MAX186 Data Sheet and
    ·the other part is from the MAX1270 Data Sheet
    Table 2. Channel Selection
    SEL2···· SEL1····· SEL0········ ·CHANNEL

····X···· X····· X
    ····· 0··········· 0··········· 0··············· ··········· CH0
    ····· 0·········· ·0··········· 1······················ ···· CH1
    ····· 0··········· 1············ 0·························· ·CH2
    ·····0············ 1············· 1······················ ·· CH3
    ···· 1·············0············ ·0······················ ·· CH4
    ··· ·1·············0············ ·1························· ·CH5
    ···· 1············· 1············ ·0······················ ·· CH6

·····1············· 1·············· 1······················· ··CH7

Bit 7···················· Bit 6···················· ·Bit 5··················· ·Bit 4··················· Bit3············· ·Bit 2·········· ·· Bit 1··········· Bit 0

(MSB)······································································································································································ (LSB)

START·············· SEL2····················· SEL1·············· SEL0··················· ·UNI/BIP··········SGL/DIF···· ··· ·PD1········· PD0

Bit················· Name··················· ·Description

7 (MSB)········· START··············· The first logic "1" bit after CS goes low defines the beginning of the control byte.

6····················· SEL2··················· These three bits select which of the eight channels are used for the conversion.

5····················· SEL1·················· ·See Tables 3 and 4.

4··················· SEL0

3················· UNI/BIP············ 1 = unipolar,······ ·0 = bipolar.······ Selects unipolar or bipolar conversion mode. In unipolar

················································· mode, an analog input signal from 0V to VREF can be converted; in bipolar mode, the

················································· signal can range from -VREF/2 to +VREF/2.

2············· ·SGL/DIF·············1 = single ended,··· ·0 = differential. Selects single-ended or differential conversions. In

·················································· single-ended mode, input signal voltages are referred to AGND. In differential mode,

················································· the voltage difference between two channels is measured. See Tables 3 and 4.

1·············· ··PD1························· Selects clock and power-down modes.

0(LSB········PD0········································ PD1···················· PD0························ Mode

···································································· 0·························· 0····························· Full power-down (IQ = 2μA)· works

···································································· 0························ · 1····························· Fast power-down (IQ = 30μA) works

···································································· 1··························· 0···························· Internal clock mode· works

···································································· 1··························· 1·····························External clock mode

···································································· ^····························· ^····························· ^· This mode dose not work

Example: Simple Software Interface

Make sure the CPU’s serial interface runs in master

mode so the CPU generates the serial clock. Choose a

clock frequency from 100kHz to 2MHz.

1) Set up the control byte for external clock mode, call

it TB1. TB1 should be of the format: 1XXXXX(11··<<<<........ Look at the table·^^ Above ^^·for )

Binary, where the Xs denote the particular channel

and conversion-mode selected.

···································CHANNELs····· unipolar··· single ended

············· START············ ·· ·· SEL0· SEL1··SEL2·········UNI/BIP··· SGL/DIF······ ···· ·PD1·················PD0························
    · [noparse][[/noparse]%·· 1········· ·X· X· ·X······ ·1···· · ·1············ ·0······· ·1· ]···Fast power-down

DO
    · LOW CS···························································· ··' Enable ADC
    · SHIFTOUT DataIn, Clock, MSBFIRST, [noparse][[/noparse]%10001101]···· ·' Select CH0, Single-Ended [noparse][[/noparse]%1XXX1101]
    · SHIFTIN DataOut, Clock, MSBPOST, [noparse][[/noparse]result0\12]········ ' Read ADC
    · HIGH CS······························································' Disable ADC
    · mVolts0 = result0 */ Cnts2Mv·································' Convert To Millivolts

·Please Let me know if this help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 11/27/2009 2:37:59 AM GMT