Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Larger that 16 bit variables — Parallax Forums

Larger that 16 bit variables

HJEHJE Posts: 4
edited 2009-11-28 00:05 in BASIC Stamp
·Is it possible to create a variable with 18 bits and transmit it via the serout/serin commands?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-11-25 13:59
    1. A large variable -- no, but you could create a 16-bit variable and a byte variable and do the over-flow math yourself.

2. SEROUT/SERIN only transmit a byte at a time -- though you can easily transmit multiple bytes one after another.

So, what are you trying to do?· Because typically in these situations the person asking the question has some goal in mind, which they haven't stated, and all we get is a question about implementation -- but we may not be fixing the right problem.· Some background would help.
  • HJEHJE Posts: 4
    edited 2009-11-25 18:19
    I am sending data to a remote receiver using an HT648L decoder. In reading the data sheet, I believe the decoder expects 18 bits, the first 10 bits are address and the next 8 bits is the data.
    edited 2009-11-25 18:47
    http://robokitsworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=227

It looks like the HT648L expects an HT640 to be encoding the data for it, which is then sent over IR or RF links to a reciever, which sends the data to the HT648L. I assume all that "addressing" simply lets somebody set up their Garage-door opener to have a unique address, so they don't open their neighbor's garage-door by mistake.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to use this for.
    edited 2009-11-27 17:57
    I have the master remote transmitter/bs2 interfaced to a Windows app and want to send the data from the master unit using a BS2 to a remote receiver that does not use a BS2 and the data sent by the BS2 is decoded by a Holtek HT648L decoder.
    edited 2009-11-27 18:13
    So it goes Windows_App -> BS2 board -> "Master Unit" -> "Slave Unit" -> HT648L

Is that it? If so, it looks like the "unknown part" is the BS2 board -> "Master Unit" interface. And I have no idea (yet) what you're using for the "Master Unit", or what interfaces it has. Perhaps you could give us some Part numbers? Some Web-links?
    edited 2009-11-28 00:05
    I designed and had manufactured the transmitter and receiver boards which are able to be configured as tx or rx or txrx. The units use RWS-434 and TWS-434A receivers and transmitters. The boards are also set up to use the HT640's and HT648L chips for transmissions. RF communications between the BS2's works fine and communications between the HT chips is fine. I simple want to set up the communication so that the BS2 on the transmission end can send a signal to the receiver and the HT648L will be able to use that signal without being decoded by the BS2. I have since read some info that indicates that the BS2 may not be able to interface directly and will require a serial encoder such as the ENC-S40. Is it possible to post a jpg file? I could include a picture of the pcb's. It may give you a better idea of what I am working with. I·believe now the serial encoder may be a necessity.

Post Edited (HJE) : 11/28/2009 12:11:41 AM GMT