Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lights on, Lights off — Parallax Forums

Lights on, Lights off

Casey GrossCasey Gross Posts: 14
edited 2009-12-03 02:17 in BASIC Stamp
I want to use the bs2 to turn my house lights on and off what kind of relay can i use to do this?

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-11-24 23:00
    I'd go with X10 modules.· Safe and sane and the Stamp has an XOUT command just for it.
    www.x10.com
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=787497
    ·
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-11-24 23:58
    I have written a VB 2008 program that will load on/off times to a uC for X-10 control the code has been transferred to a PIC because it allows 16 units to operate. with a little tweaking, you might be able to use a BS2 with program slots and make it fit.

the DS1340 clock module from Graivtech is used to keep time and the PSC05 is the x-10 power line interface used.

I have included a text file of Pic Basic Pro code that will show you the pins used for both and you will need to put the text files in your documents so the VB can find them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-11-25 05:19
    Casey,

It is possible to also use a lighting controller from such companies as EFX-TEK; they have a good lighting board and really easy to use with Parallax products (FC-4).·They have a few styles and options you could use to control some lighting with the BASIC Stamp or other as the controller.

EFX-TEK:
    www.efx-tek.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-11-27 13:25
    Casey,

It is possible to also use a lighting controller from such companies as EFX-TEK; they have a good lighting board and really easy to use with Parallax products (FC-4).·They have a few styles and options you could use to control some lighting with the BASIC Stamp or other as the controller.

EFX-TEK:
    www.efx-tek.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson

Casey,

I have use (FC-4) and is very to use and work very well it is a little price but worth it in what you can do with it
    I have even modify one of the board to work on 12··Volts· AC Please note that by do this you void the warranty
    on the (FC-4) board

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-11-27 13:31
    · This is what you can do with (FC-4)

It has four Channels and each channel is adj the the light level to fully on to fully off and any thing in between in 255 steps

they also have (RC4) which is a soild state relay board which is very nice to work with as well

I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 11/27/2009 1:36:15 PM GMT
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-11-30 02:49
    ONLY IF you know how to safely work with 120 VAC and just want simple on/off lamp switching, you can use one of many 5V relays. You need one SPST relay per light circuit, but you can also use SPDT or DPDT relays which are more plentiful. You'll also·need a 5V supply that can power the stamp plus all your relay coils, and you'll need to use one driver transistor per relay. See the FAQ sticky thread for a sample relay driver circuit.

You do need to be sure your relay contacts can carry the current required. You should measure the AC current required by your lighting circuit with an AC ammeter or a Kill-a-Watt device such as http://cgi.ebay.com/P3-KILL-A-WATT-LCD-ELECTRICITY-MONITOR-METER-P4400-NEW_W0QQitemZ200411928151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea97b5657

Definitely fuse ANYTHING you build that will carry AC power.

If you don't know how to use AC power safely, this would not be a good time to try to learn.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Casey GrossCasey Gross Posts: 14
    edited 2009-12-03 02:17
    Thanks everyone for the help!!!