Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I get a message saying "Stamp II detected but not responding! Check power suppl — Parallax Forums

I get a message saying "Stamp II detected but not responding! Check power suppl

NeedsHelpNeedsHelp Posts: 3
edited 2009-11-30 18:07 in BASIC Stamp
I am ultra new to this, but I am using a BS2e Rev D and a BS2 carrier board that I just bought.

I have never used anything like it before and this is its first test. I open the "blink" program in the editor and try to run it then I get the 'not responding, check power supply' message.

I tried changing the battery, but that doesn't help. I know that it is getting power because I used a voltmeter and touched it to the VIN pin on the stamp. Any ideas about how to fix this? Did I break it while connecting it to the carrier board?

Thanks

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-24 21:27
    What voltage are you getting? What cable are you using to connect to your computer? Is the chip in the correct way?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • NeedsHelpNeedsHelp Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-24 21:37
    >What voltage are you getting?

about 7.99

>What cable are you using to connect to your computer?

A serial cable I dug out of storage

>Is the chip in the correct way?

The words "BS2e Rev D" are facing the serial port. Also, the biggest black chip on the BS2 is on the side facing away from the serial port.

Post Edited (NeedsHelp) : 11/24/2009 9:42:36 PM GMT
  • NeedsHelpNeedsHelp Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-24 21:40
    Would turning the stamp around hurt anything if that wasn't the problem?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-25 04:22
    Yes. the power would be on the wrong pins and you could burn it out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-11-25 05:15
    NeedsHelp,

Welcome to our forums. Is it possible for you to take a picture of your set up? Or explain how everything is connected and to what?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • VaatiVaati Posts: 712
    edited 2009-11-25 15:08
    Hmmm... Well, the serial cable might be a null-modem cable, but I don't know if it would even respond at all if it was. Check the two ends of your cable and see if it has any sort of label at all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!

*-NEW-* SD Card Adapter·Now available!· Add extra memory to your next Propeller project with ease!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-11-25 15:21
    Yes, because of how the BS2 serial port works, I believe "echo" and "loopback" will both pass with a null-modem cable.

If you're using a USB to serial adapter, did you install the driver BEFORE you plugged in the adapter?

If you're using a USB to serial adapter, is it a Belkin adapter (widely known to not work)?
    ·
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-11-30 18:07
    Vaati,

You will want to use a Straight-thru serial cable with the BASIC Stamp·2 modules. Can you verify that you have a pin-to-pin cable instead of a null-modem cable? If you have a Null Modem cable, please replace it with a standard pin-to-pin cable and try again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com