Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VSA to RS232 to a BS2? — Parallax Forums

VSA to RS232 to a BS2?

RossRoss Posts: 15
edited 2009-11-26 02:14 in BASIC Stamp
I have an art project that uses a BS2P40 driving 32 LEDs via transistor arrays. Programming the PWM'd lighting sequencing has been a lot of fun but now I want more whistles and bells. Is it practical to use the programming port on the Stamp to receive serial data from a PC running a program like VSA (Visual Show Automation from Brookshire software)? I'd like to not have to give up one of my 32 I/O pins for serial communication, plus the programming port can already handle the PC port's voltages.

I've used VSA before to sync sound to servos using Scott Edward's Mini SSCs. I thought I might be able to program the BS2 to listen for the serial commands that the Mini SSC would've otherwise received and then act accordingly (i.e. brighten and dim LEDs instead of driving servos). My concern is that this might be too slow to work effectively.

BTW, I know there are slicker ways to sequence LEDs to sound. I ultimately plan to start playing with the Propeller and DMX once this project's immediate deadline is over. I'd just like to do something fairly quickly with the Stamp, if possible.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ross

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-21 23:02
    I don't know anything about VSA, but you can use the programming port for serial data from a PC. The primary restriction is that the Stamp will echo received characters back to the PC. You can use the SERIN / SEROUT statements with port #16.
  • RossRoss Posts: 15
    edited 2009-11-22 17:09
    Thanks, Mike. I assume the echoed characters done by the Stamp would slow it down a bit because it's more stuff the Stamp has to do?

Thanks,

Ross
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-22 18:00
    No, the echoing is a result of the circuitry used to interface the Stamp's processor to the RS232 port used for programming. The Stamp's processor is not involved.
    edited 2009-11-23 20:04
    Thanks, Mike. Sounds like something worth trying.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Ross
    edited 2009-11-25 01:26
    Is it possible·to·command multiple Stamps via their programming ports·from a PC's serial port using a daisy chained DB-9 cable?
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2009-11-25 02:53
    Hi Ross,

Jon Williams and John Barroman (former Parallax employees) started their own company a few years back called EFX-TEK. They have created and sell the effects boards called the Prop-1 and the Prop-2 (among others) which are based on the Basic Stamp I and Basic Stamp II as their respective cores. Jon Williams has done quite a bit of work with VSA and the BS2... take a look at the EFX-TEK forums here: forums.efx-tek.com and I'm sure he can help you out.

Tim

Edit: I forgot to mention that I believe most of the VSA stuff is in the 'Miscellany' child board... maybe some in others too, just look around a bit or post a question about it.

Post Edited (Tim-M) : 11/25/2009 2:59:58 AM GMT
    edited 2009-11-25 03:53
    Hi Tim,

Wow, I didn't know of EFX-TEK! This is great stuff! They have a lot of products that would've saved me a lot of headaches. I registered for their forum and have been checking out message threads. Very cool...

Thanks!

Ross
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2009-11-26 02:14
    You're welcome Ross, I hope it helps you reach your goal.

Tim