Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How much does it cost? — Parallax Forums

How much does it cost?

ChenChen Posts: 15
edited 2009-11-29 14:34 in BASIC Stamp
I am in need of a BS2P(40 pin) program. It must be able to control three step motors. It must be able to do linear interpolation in X-Y plane and move in Z direction. Namely, it can be used on CNC machine or mobile platform. How much does such a Basic Stamp program cost? Any friend can evaluate on such a program and give out the price.

Post Edited (Chen) : 11/17/2009 5:10:54 AM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-17 03:05
    If you want someone to come up with a price here you will have to give WAY more information. First off the stamp can't do it by itself so what and how do you plan to hook things together? A drawing of your connections would be helpful.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ChenChen Posts: 15
    edited 2009-11-17 04:56
    Of course we need to connect some amplifiers between the Basic Stamp and the step motors. They are TIP120 Darlington transistors. These hardware will not cost a lot. Except the stamp and the motor, $20 is enough to cover the circuit. But, the program itself does linear interpolation and moves in Z direction. Namely, the program is smart. All that you need to input is the interpolation direction, speed, steps you want the motors to go and interpolation ratio. They can be given through RS232 link from the PC or other microcontrollers. I want to sell such a program but do not know the price. Is it one million?

Post Edited (Chen) : 11/17/2009 5:01:20 AM GMT
  • InstinctzInstinctz Posts: 18
    edited 2009-11-18 00:04
    1 million Yen?
    edited 2009-11-18 04:16
    1 million US dollars. Worthwhile?
  • InstinctzInstinctz Posts: 18
    edited 2009-11-18 04:42
    Well if you can sell it for that, then yeah it sounds like a winner
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2009-11-18 12:03
    So you wrote that program but found it too expensive to
    sell it to yourself?
    I guess someone here in this forum can write a cheaper program that can do the same thing for you, no problem!
    edited 2009-11-29 05:51
    See who can write such a program.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-11-29 06:59
    If you are looking for (useful) feedback from the forum I'd suggest reposting in a new thread with a complete description of your project. Schematics and a clear program definition are a must. Something longer than 6 short sentences. Also, if you really want to hire help then you may want to look at this page: www.parallax.com/Support/Consultants/tabid/382/Default.aspx#BS
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2009-11-29 14:14
    I am not sure about the Propeller, but the Stamp can only do integer math, and is not fast enough for doing the liner interpolation calculations (Unless you are moving at Galcial speeds.)
    You said a PC was the front end feeding co-ordinated to the Stamp. Use the PC for crunching the numbers for the interpolation and use the Stamp as a driver for the amps only.

On the other hand, there are already lots of PC based CNC programs available.
    One of the top sellers is Mach 3 by Artsoft is under $500 with a CAD program. http://www.machsupport.com/
    Lots of lower end CNC companies use this type of CNC software.
    Why reinvent the wheel?
    As for selling it for $1 million...Allen-Bradley, GE/Fanuc and Seimans make the worlds best/most expensive CNC controllers and you can buy them including hardware for around $10,000 to 50,000 USD.
    mAybe you should do some market studies for your pending product

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Alan Bradford ·N1YMQ

Plasma Technologies
    Canaan NH 03741
    www.plasmatechnologies.com
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2009-11-29 14:34
    By the way... I do not use Mach 3 software, endorse them, or have any connection to them.
    I work on higher end CNC's but I run into people who use this type of software fairly often.
    The machines I work on start at $40,000 and go up, the same type of machine (hobby grade) that uses Mach 3 type CNC controls run $4,500 to $20,000.
    I didnt want anyone to think I was selling or endorsing Mach 3

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Alan Bradford ·N1YMQ

Plasma Technologies
    Canaan NH 03741
    www.plasmatechnologies.com