Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Jamming Ultrasonic and Infrared sensors — Parallax Forums

Jamming Ultrasonic and Infrared sensors

nonameherononamehero Posts: 9
edited 2009-11-13 13:25 in Accessories
hi,
has anyone here had experience build something that can·disrupt the ultrasonic sensor and infrared sensors.
for the ultrasonic sensor thats sold on this website, it sends 40khz signals, is it possible to·mess·it up·if i get a buzzer that constantly send out 40khz signal in its direction.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2009-11-08 02:49
    I have not built anything to disrupt ultrasonic and infrared sensors but I have run into situations where interference from other equipment has done so. A buzzer sending out a 40KHz signal will interfere with another device sending to a receiver.
  • tronsnavytronsnavy Posts: 70
    edited 2009-11-10 01:42
    NONAMEHERO,
    It is absolutely possible to jam a sensor, if the jamming signal is centered on the same frequency.· In Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) jargon, this is called Spot On Noise (or just SPOT).· I worked on ECM systems for 12 years in the US Navy.· If you use SPOT jamming against a radar, it will deny Range and Range rate information.· Of course, modern Radars use various ECCM techniques to get around this.· Anyway, if you know that a different system that uses the same frequency as PING (or IR frequency or the PRF if the IR), then PING and IR will be affected.· I have not personally experienced it with my PING Radar (or IR sensors), but is certainly makes sense.· If I get time, I just might try to "jam" my own PING Radar.· Sounds like fun.· Anyway, try and remove the source of interference, or move your project elsewhere.· Good luck.
    Bob
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-11-10 02:25
    Although the reason why you would want to jam the sensors escapes me, it is certainly possible. Just like you can "jam" a conversation by playing loud music, you can overwhelm the receiving elements of a sensor.
    edited 2009-11-10 03:06
    Certainly, under normal circumstances, you would want to remove all forms of interference.· I just want to satisfy my own curiosity... just to see if I get the same results as when I worked on ECM systems… screen smear, pie wedge, range manipulation, ect.· It will be easy to do.
  • nonameherononamehero Posts: 9
    edited 2009-11-13 02:10
    SRLM said...
    Although the reason why you would want to jam the sensors escapes me, it is certainly possible. Just like you can "jam" a conversation by playing loud music, you can overwhelm the receiving elements of a sensor.

I want to be able to purposely disrupt the signals because I am building this autonomous vehicle for a project.
    This vehicle will participate in a race against other autonomous vehicle, so i need like offensive features that can mess up other ppl's vehicle sensors without touching them.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-13 02:12
    In most competitions that would be illegal to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • nonameherononamehero Posts: 9
    edited 2009-11-13 02:13
    Franklin said...

that is whats required for us to do. It is part of our assignment to be able to screw up other people's vehicle.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-13 03:40
    Mount a stun gun on top. erco also had some video clips of another option.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-11-13 04:33
    nonamehero said...
    Franklin said...

that is whats required for us to do. It is part of our assignment to be able to screw up other people's vehicle.

Before we get to tazers.......Is there a limitation of what can be done to the opposition?

If just trying to confuse them, you could use a ping, and have it continuously ping. The infrared is also the same, just pulsout a random generated number in the right frequency range. Or also modulate the frequency with a random number output.

I sort of look at this as a "Road Warrior" version of battle bots.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
    edited 2009-11-13 13:25
    Jamming can be tricky.· A jammer has·a power advantage·over a radar (or sensor).··The signal·only has to travel one-way.· The·radar has to send the pulse,·and wait for·the echo to return to the radar (two-way).· You must also understand that the jammer and·radar (sensor) must face each other for MAX interference.· If they are facing each other, the jamming·is only effective within·the "cone of vulnerability".· This is typically·5-30 degrees on either side of the radar's (sensor) main lobe (depending mostly on range).· If the radar (sensor)·is not in the cone of vulnerability (out of position), then the jamming will only have "sporadic"·effects.· The radar (sensor) will still be able to effectively·"range" or "sense" objects.· If the radar (sensors) does NOT use any type of modulation (stretched pulse, FM, Phase, ect), then modulating the jammer makes no sense.· The only reason to use modulation in a noise jammer is·to sweep the spot signal or·use·"side lobe" jamming.· This is beyond your scope.· Of course, deception jamming uses modulation extensively (especially if the jammer is used against a Doppler radar).· Bottom line, build a jammer that will generate a frequency·that is the same·sensor that you expect to use the jammer against.· Of course, the more power out of the jammer, the better.· Ensure to "point" the jammer's antenna directly at the sensor, whenever the sensor is facing you.· Of course, be careful to not jam your own bot.· You could change the frequency of your sensor so it is not affected, but it’s up to you (more work).· Good luck.
    Bob