Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1USB problem (mouse pointer goes at the corner of my screen) — Parallax Forums

BS1USB problem (mouse pointer goes at the corner of my screen)

jzmnavarrojzmnavarro Posts: 16
edited 2009-11-10 00:38 in BASIC Stamp
When i start using BS1-usb it works fine. But recently, a problem occured when I plug in my usb port, my mouse cursor goes at the corner of my screen. I dont know why this happens. I tried re-install the driver and reboot it but the same problem happens again. Please help me with this problem guys.

Thanks.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-04 03:05
    You have the wrong drivers associated with the stamp. You may have to delete all the USB devices in Device Manager (if you are using windohs) and then make sure you have the latest drivers from the Parallax site installed before you reinsert the stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • jzmnavarrojzmnavarro Posts: 16
    edited 2009-11-04 03:08
    yes i also did that. but still same problem. i tried plug in my laptop, same problem happens.. pls help me guys [noparse]:([/noparse]
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-11-04 03:14
    Remove ALL USB devices and check the box that says to remove the drivers. Make sure you get the hidden ones too. If after doing this it still does not work, I'm out of ideas.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-11-04 03:35
    I also try your suggestions but still the same. Whenever i plug the Bs1-usb in the port it always happen. blue screen of death appears after unplugging it. any idea?
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-11-04 03:48
    jzmnavarro said...
    I also try your suggestions but still the same. Whenever i plug the Bs1-usb in the port it always happen. blue screen of death appears after unplugging it. any idea?

I have some questions.....that may or may not be pertinent to the situation.

What OS are you using??

Which BS editor are you using?

The blue screen of death definitely shows a driver problem.

Are you closing the editor before unplugging it.......does the order of when you unplug it make a difference?

Can you use your mouse at all (inconvenience....or just not operable)

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
    edited 2009-11-04 04:47
    Im using Windows XP SP2.

im using BASIC Stamp Editor v2.4.2

The problem occurs when i plug the BS1-USB.. i tried reinstall the driver but same problem. Even when i unplug the mouse i think it has no effect still the same.. And the BSOD appears when i unplugged the BS1-USB. Any idea?
    edited 2009-11-04 04:58
    jzmnavarro said...
    Im using Windows XP SP2.

im using BASIC Stamp Editor v2.4.2

The problem occurs when i plug the BS1-USB.. i tried reinstall the driver but same problem. Even when i unplug the mouse i think it has no effect still the same.. And the BSOD appears when i unplugged the BS1-USB. Any idea?

I have a strange question.....but it may provide some information.

Do you have any items on the outputs of the BS1?

If you do, I would probably remove those........just in case the unit is pulling too much power and causing the USB buss to drop too low.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
    edited 2009-11-04 05:01
    My last program i store is just a HIGH pin. I just HIGH the pin and DEBUG to see the output. Do you think the program i load causes the problem?
    edited 2009-11-04 05:09
    jzmnavarro said...
    My last program i store is just a HIGH pin. I just HIGH the pin and DEBUG to see the output. Do you think the program i load causes the problem?

Nope, I was thinking you may have LED's or resistors that would possibly pull down the power.

I am somewhat out of ideas. It could be a power problem, or a driver problem.

If for some reason the BS1-USB pulls down the USB voltage, that can cause all kinds of problems.

If the computer is loading the wrong driver, that too can cause problems.

This sounds like the Parallax staff will need to help further.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

edited 2009-11-04 05:19
    It is just the BS1-USB alone. In my project there are resistors and leds to be control. Anyway thanks. If you have idea on solving this just let me know. I can't start my project because of this problem.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-04 06:17
    It sounds like you've already exhausted the most common causes of this sort of problem. These are always:

1) Some problem with the I/O drivers, usually the wrong driver is installed and uninstalling the current one, downloading a fresh copy, and installing it helps.

2) Some problem with the power source. With the BS1-USB, this is the USB bus which is supposed to be protected from drawing too much current.

Best thing at this point is to call Parallax Tech Support (or e-mail them directly).
    edited 2009-11-04 07:45
    It was working fine last week. driver working properly, loading in bS1 is good also. But eventually, this thing happens yesterday when i plug in again. I try install/uninstall driver still the same.. two copies of driver package is installed in programs FTDI CDM Package (2/17/2009 2.04.16) that was the version i used since the beginning.. any idea?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-04 15:00
    Maybe you have a computer virus. Maybe Windows automatically installed an update in the last week that, for some reason, is causing the error. What you're reporting doesn't make sense. The Stamp Editor doesn't magically change from week to week nor does the FTDI driver and there's no failure in the BS1USB that would cause what you've reported as you've described it. Call Parallax Tech Support.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-11-04 21:30
    jzmnavarro,

I would agree with Mike, the drivers will not just uninstall unless there is something that is causing them to; for example a driver roll back function or perhaps an update Windows did or prompted for another reason. Do you have any anti-virus software? If so, what was the last time you did a sweep on the PC for viruses or corrupted files? Have you tried to uninstall all FTDI drivers and start from scratch? FTDI has an application that can uninstall all the drivers and start fresh. You can access that software from the FTDI web site, the link is below for your convenience.

FTDI Clean Utility:
    http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/FTClean.zip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 11/4/2009 9:35:40 PM GMT
    edited 2009-11-05 03:26
    Hi again!

I try removing all the viruses on my pc.. im using AVIRA anti virus. My windows update is turn off so it is not possible to update. I also try installing it in other pc with no virus. fresh install driver but still same problem.

Do you think it can be hardware problem? my bs1-usb specifically. Sometimes my situation is this. I plug the bs1-usb works fine then i installed the driver successful but after finishing this it hangs up and still my mouse cursor goes to the top right corner of my screen and sometimes after i unplug it BSOD (blue screen of death) appears saying error in my "serenum.sys"..

Can be possible my bs1-usb hardware module have a problem?
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-11-05 13:28
    My guess is that the computer is seeing the serial output from the BS1USB as a mouse. I had this problem with external modems too (the PC would think it was a mouse).

Open device manager and see if there is a serial mouse, then plug in the BS1USB and see if a serial mouse appears.

The DEBUG command on the BS1USB will cause it to send serial data to the PC. If you load a program into the BS1USB that does NOT use DEBUG, it should stop the problem if this is the cause.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Does that byte of memory hold "A", 65, $41 or %01000001 ?
    Yes it does...

·
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-11-06 01:34
    Here is the problem if you have debug Statement or·Statements in your code you MUST plug in the USB FIRST·with the POWER OFF on the Basic Stamp then turn on the power·to the Basic Stamp ·this a MUST on lap Top computers

I have this Problem with my Laptop computer as well as far as getting the blue screen·this will some time happen·on my·computer or it·Will just restart on it own or just freeze and will not do any thing at all· until I remove the battery· and restart the computer

·I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-11-06 06:11
    @bean

it seems that you are right. i saw "serial mouse ballpoint" when i plugged the bs1usb. My last program i load to the BS1-USB has a debug command.

I tried loading again new program but this time no debug command. When I run it, it appears that "cant open port: in use".. i cant load it properly cause my cursor go to the right top corner of my screen.

Is there a way that i can reset the load program without using the basic stamp editor? Any idea sir?

Will wait for your response.

Thanks..
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-11-06 14:27
    I believe it is impossible to load the FTDI USB driver you need for the BS1_USB adapter WHILE the BS1_USB adapter is plugged in. The way USB works, you plug in a device, and Windows searches its internal USB drivers for one that matches.

Sadly, Windows comes with drivers that it THINKS are compatible with the FTDI USB, which are not. Thus, you MUST load the USB driver BEFORE you plug in the USB device -- otherwise Windows will find some other driver it has, but which will not work with your device.

This sounds like what's happened to you. Were I you, I would un-plug every USB device, unload the current FTDI drivers, reload the FTDI drivers, THEN plug in your BS1USB device.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-11-06 14:59
    jzmnavarro said...
    @bean

it seems that you are right. i saw "serial mouse ballpoint" when i plugged the bs1usb. My last program i load to the BS1-USB has a debug command.

I tried loading again new program but this time no debug command. When I run it, it appears that "cant open port: in use".. i cant load it properly cause my cursor go to the right top corner of my screen.

Is there a way that i can reset the load program without using the basic stamp editor? Any idea sir?

Will wait for your response.

Thanks..
    After you plug in the BS1USB, try disabling or deleting the serial mouse from the device list. But sometimes it just re-appears.

If you can get a program loaded that doesn't use DEBUG you should be okay.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Does that byte of memory hold "A", 65, $41 or %01000001 ?
    Yes it does...

·
    edited 2009-11-10 00:38
    Thanks a lot bean! not it works properly. After a week of this problem I finally survived. lols.. Now i know what the used of debug in bs1. Have a great day! [noparse]:)[/noparse]