Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scoreboard — Parallax Forums

Scoreboard

Chris SteinerChris Steiner Posts: 3
edited 2009-11-02 13:43 in BASIC Stamp
I am relatively new to this forum. I am looking for a stamp project for a homemade scoreboard (backyard icerink). Anyone come across a basic stamp project of this nature?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-10-31 02:16
    How big does it have to be, and what information do you want it to display?

-Phil
  • Chris SteinerChris Steiner Posts: 3
    edited 2009-10-31 19:35
    Phil,

My scoreboard needs to countdown from twenty minutes. I have done two seven segment display countdowns before, but never 4. I am not sure how to multiplex with 4. As far as size is concerned, as big as possible. I do like the 6" displays mentioned above, but I may drive something even bigger with relays. Right now I just want to focus on the code. Do you have any suggestions?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-10-31 22:15
    Chris Steiner said...
    Right now I just want to focus on the code. Do you have any suggestions?
    Extrapolate?
    ·
  • Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
    edited 2009-11-01 17:27
    Maxim max7219 driver chip
    Now something else I tried is once is putting a magnifying
    Glass in front of the digits, and sending them to a light colored wall, you can get 6 foot
    Numbers this way, but hard to see in a lighted room.
  • Chris SteinerChris Steiner Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-02 03:37
    Phil,
    The bs2 file that you link to above explains a lot. I guess I was just looking for the same thing counting down from twenty minutes using 4 seven segment displays.

Larry, I like the magnification idea. I just don't have a large barn to illuminate upon next to our ice rink.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,652
    edited 2009-11-02 13:43
    Quite a number of years ago (maybe 15) when my daughters were playing softball I built my own scoreboard that we would take along to the games. It always seemed as though the field we went to never had an operational scoreboard or even a scoreboard at all.

I used the electro-magnetic-mechanical "flip" type displays from the Staver company in NY. I see they have been bought out by Signalex Corp. These displays were easy to interface to and required very little power since they only needed a pulse to flip one way or the other. A magnet then held the element in place. Ran on several D or C size batteries. I forget which.

I used a PIC chip back then to run the scoreboard. This could easily be done with a basic stamp and even incorporate some wireless magic to eliminate the control tether cable.

I'll post some pictures later. I'll have to dig the unit out of the garage. Its been a while since it has been used.