Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help Nooby in Electronics(basic stamp) — Parallax Forums

help Nooby in Electronics(basic stamp)

JectJect Posts: 4
edited 2009-11-02 15:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I am totally new to electronics.

I got a month for me to build a circuit board which can perform the action as listed below:
1) a circuit board that able to activate 2 others mosfet or transistor for a period of time, say 1minute and off for 30s, and this repeat this for 50 cycles

Hence, i would need a basic stamp controller to do that programming and control. i am thinking a basic stamp 2e module be the controller. is this a good choice?
Is it true that it will be easier for me to do my project if i can start with the Basic Stamp Activity kit, or i should just get a standalone Basic Stamp 2e, a development board, and a serial cable?

any help is very much appreciable!!

regards,
Ject

Comments

• YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2009-10-30 15:02
    Ject,
    I'm noob myself, and buying a starter kit and do the exercise couple of times, got me to leap from not knowing what a resistor looks like, to get to a LED flashing without burning them! wink.gif Got that servo from the kit, to follow light source (it work somehow good... just for testing).

Yes , I would suggest to start from a kit... and from there, ideas and wish list will grow fast.!
    Plus in this forum, you'll get lots of help if you do your homework as much as you can. You'll get stuck but a bit a search in here will get you moving!

If not, you'll lose interest fast, not knowing where to start and what to do... and may burn your chip or couple of pins! wink.gif

Cheers
    Yosh
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-10-30 16:14
    Ject,

I would agree with Yoshti; getting a start kit like the Activity Kit or the Discovery Kit would be the way to get started with·the BASIC Stamp 2. Each one will teach you the fundimentals that you will want to have for programming your project or getting programming help from the forums. Here are two links for your review; the Discovery Kit has more room to grow but both are a great start.

BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit:
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/320/Default.aspx

BASIC Stamp Activity Kit:
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/313/Default.aspx

Please let us know if you have questions,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-10-30 16:21
    Hi Ject,

Yes the BS2e will work fine but really any of the BS2's will do the job. Yoshti offers some good advice and if you should take him up on it I would recommend one of the kits that allow you to plug in the BS2 chip separately. And when you do your circuit board use a socket to plug the BS2 chip into.
  • JectJect Posts: 4
    edited 2009-10-30 18:24
    thanks a lot for your advices guys. i may consider one of the kit as a start up. thanks a lot!
  • tronsnavytronsnavy Posts: 70
    edited 2009-10-31 22:19
    Ject,

In regards to controlling your Transistors... have you considered the 555 timer chip (used as a "one shot").· You can set the length of the output pulse by using different values of resistor (R1) and Capacitor (C1).· You can trigger the one shot using your BS2.· Re-trigger after a set period of time.· The only reason I suggest the 555 is because you can buy them at radio shack.· Let me know if you want a schematic.· You can "google" it (one shot) to.· Good luck and have fun.
    Bob

• JectJect Posts: 4
    edited 2009-11-02 06:14
    Hi Bob,

Nope, I have never considered 555 before since i don't even know its existence and functions as i am a noob in electronics. haha. Mind to send me a schematic regarding that? appreciate that a lot. thank you.

ject
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-02 14:14
    Use the Wikipedia. There's plenty of information on electronics in there. Do a Google search for "wiki 555 timer"
  • tronsnavytronsnavy Posts: 70
    edited 2009-11-02 15:00
    Ject,

Use Mike's suggestion and search "wiki 555 timer".· Scroll down til you get to "Monostable Mode".· Monostable mode is the same as "one shot".· The schematic that wiki shows is the same one that I was going to send you.· Plus it has a lot of other useful info.· Have fun.

Bob
    ·