Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lost Source code - available from Stamp? — Parallax Forums

Lost Source code - available from Stamp?

Black MagicBlack Magic Posts: 2
edited 2009-10-27 04:24 in BASIC Stamp
I have lost the source code in a computer crash for a BS2, is it possible to get the basic code out of the stamp?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-27 03:50
    No

The Basic code does not exist in the Stamp. The Stamp's EEPROM contains a compiled version of the program with all the statements, variable names, labels, and comments stripped out and very compact coded information substituted. There's no mechanism for reading this out in its entirety. It's possible to download a new, very short program to a Stamp that will dump the contents of most of the EEPROM to your PC in binary form (except for the memory occupied by the dump program). The dump program sits on top of part of the original program in the Stamp and that part would be lost completely by downloading the dump program. So, the answer again is no. You can't retrieve the entire compiled program and, even if you could, you would not be able to reconstruct the original source program from that.
  • Black MagicBlack Magic Posts: 2
    edited 2009-10-27 04:24
    Oh well. I was hoping to reclaim it for future halloween use. I still have the army surplus Hazmat suit jumpin.gif

I made a 'Geiger Counter' that was triggered by a switch in the 'probe' It would emit beeps at random periods, and flash an LED.
    A PWM signal was filtered into a DC milli-ammeter - the more 'radiation' there was the higher the duty cycle - works quite well.

When the switch was closed, the random periods got progressively smaller. Just like a Geiger counter would when placed nearer a radiation source.