Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fried bs2 px? — Parallax Forums

Fried bs2 px?

mouzgmouzg Posts: 21
edited 2009-10-29 23:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hi can you tell me how can i understand if my bs2px is fried?I was working on a project when it suddenly couldnt be programmed through my BASIC Stamp Editor.I checked the connection (to the pc) and it was ok.I can programm a bs2 using the same pc .The bs2px is on a b.o.e. And when i turn the power on everything seems ok(on board leds flashing etc.)it even sends the first pulses to the servos when i power it on.

Comments

• KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2009-10-25 21:39
    Hi mouzg

How are you powering it? If battery check them ist.

Ken
  • mouzgmouzg Posts: 21
    edited 2009-10-25 21:54
    i power it through 4 aa battery cells(6 v) i ve replaced them.the batteries are fine and boe's power led lights normally.
    edited 2009-10-25 22:05
    Does it ID properly?
    edited 2009-10-25 22:09
    no,But the loopback and echo tabs are marked as yes.
    edited 2009-10-25 22:15
    For kicks and giggles disconnect the servos and try again. What was it doing when it stopped working?
    edited 2009-10-25 22:27
    Ive tried that too.it was set to high and low pins.I had connected a darlington aray to control a stepper motor (the wiring was fine too)..
    edited 2009-10-25 22:53
    And you cant send a program to it? If voltages are ok then could you swap chips? Just make sure its got a good 5 volts.

Also when you wired in the darlington did you use any series resistors?
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-10-26 19:21
    mouzg,

Do you have a USB or Serial BOE?·Using a volt meter; what are the following voltage measurements on the BS2px while it is connected?

Sout:
    Sin:
    Vcc:
    Rst:
    Vin:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-27 18:33
    its an usb version no i dont have a volt meter is there amy other way to test it...
    edited 2009-10-27 18:43
    Mouzg,

Its hard to do without a meter because you will not be able to tell the levels that a pin reads. No chance you have an oscilloscope is there? If no; what is your customer number and we can have you send it in for testing?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-27 18:50
    No i dont have an oscilloscope.As for the testing it can be done cause i live in greece and only the transportation would cost half the price a new one costs.Thank you for your time.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-27 18:53
    Typically when you HAD a working BS2px and now you DON'T have a BS2px (and you're using the SAME computer to talk to it, right?) then typically that's a power problem.

And if you HAVE changed the computer, then typically it's a USB driver problem -- you may need to install the FTDI USB driver, the "default" windows USB-Serial driver absolutly will not work.
    edited 2009-10-27 19:02
    its the same computer.I can program a bs2 using the same computer,usb cable,power, even B.O.E...But not the bs2px
    edited 2009-10-27 19:08
    Mouzg,

Without having it here for testing it would be hard to say exactly; but if you have two exact same set ups and one works and the other doesn't, it is also possible that something happened to the BS2px. The loopback stating NO is normally a driver or cable related error. Have you changed any COM settings? For example changing the latency timer to 1 or un-checking FIFI buffers? The BS2px communicates faster than the BS2, but normally if you can program one you can program them both; but it is something to try.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-28 13:46
    AHA!

So, if you can program a BS2 using your exact setup, then you've validated all your hardware and software. The only additional thing I can think of is that the BS2px is one of the newest BS2 'flavors', and I believe it REQUIRES the 2.4 IDE, the 2.1 IDE which would program a BS2 won't do it.
    edited 2009-10-28 16:08
    Excellent idea, the new firmware could cause the communication breakdown with older versions of the editor. Mouzg, here is·a·link to the newest version of the BASIC Stamp Editor. Can you confirm you have the version 2.4.2 installed? If not, here is a link for your convenience. Install this version and see if you can program the BS2px.

BASIC Stamp Editor [noparse][[/noparse] 2.4.2 ]:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/sw/bs/win/Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.4.2.exe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-29 22:33
    I do have the latest pragrammer.And i re installed the drivers but nothing changed.I guess the bs2px is dammaged.Thank you very much for your help..
    edited 2009-10-29 22:47
    Mouzg,

Do know of any distributors that are close to you? Perhaps we could do an exchange with them and just send them another module on their next order. If you search the list below and let me know if that is possible, I will work with sales to try to make that happen.

Distributor List:
    http://www.parallax.com/Company/LocateaDistributor/tabid/69/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2009-10-29 22:57
    No ther isnt anyone in greece...But thank you very much..
    edited 2009-10-29 23:01
    You're welcome, feel free to contact me if I could be of further assistance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com