Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID controller with LCD and Lan connection — Parallax Forums

RFID controller with LCD and Lan connection

Wouter van RWouter van R Posts: 4
edited 2009-12-12 03:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
·
This is the first time I visit the website and there a so many products I can not choose witch one I need for my first project.
·
So I looking for a self-made RFID controller who can access a database and this will be register if the person is in or out the building. I have some experience with visual basic 2005/2008/2010
·
Next to the door there will be a RFID reader and is connected to a database on a computer. The computer is almost 10 meters away so I can not use a USB interface but I can use LAN (Ethernet).
·
After the person showed his tag card the person will see at the LCD display that the register is ok.
·
With product do you prefer to make this real. Ehmmmm I can not soldering
·
Thank you so much.
·
Wouter

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-10-25 12:20
    Wouter,

Welcome to the Forums.

Can you tell us how many people you are trying to track?

For low numbers of people, you might be able to do it with the memory available in a BS2sx or BS2px.

Also, it would help if you could describe the process in greater detail:

For example:

1. approach RFID and scan tag
    2. controller checks for valid tag number
    3. is the person already in the building?
    4. display information on LCD

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Wouter van RWouter van R Posts: 4
    edited 2009-10-25 14:16
    Thank you for your reply.

It will be for a small amound of people. There are working, but I need to see at my desktop who are in the building?

The proces what I concider:

1. A person has a tag card
    2. Shows his card to the RFID reader
    3. Display will say: Please what
    4. There wil be a connection to the desktop: This is alwas on.
    5. At the backgrond of this desktop there will be a .NET visual basic application running
    6. This .NET program will check if the person is in the database and change the status to"In the Building".
    7. When the status is changed the LCD says. Welkom in the building When the person will leave the building it wille say for instant: Goodbye

Like this. But witch product will you recommand an can you work with a network connextion instat of a USB connection
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-10-25 15:10
    The Stamp itself cannot handle the LAN connection. You would need another device for that. Options:

1) RFID Reader
    Stamp controller
    PINK (The PINK provides a web server that can transfer data to the Stamp)
    ... See www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/pink/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/40/Default.aspx

2) RFID Reader
    Stamp controller
    Easy Bluetooth ~~wireless~~ PC with built-in Bluetooth
    ... The wireless link acts like a direct serial connection and may work over 10 meters depending on what's in the way.

3) RFID Reader
    YBox2 controller (Propeller-based) ~~~LAN~~~ PC
    ... The YBox2 has a built-in TCP/IP stack and can act as a web server and/or web client.
    ... See www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/ and www.deepdarc.com/ybox2.
    edited 2009-10-25 15:14
    Thank you mike

What do you think if I use those product

attachment.php?attachmentid=74034

Or do I miss something?

Post Edited (Wouter van R) : 10/25/2009 3:20:29 PM GMT
    709 x 74 - 8K
    edited 2009-10-25 16:00
    None of these are Parallax products, so you are on your own. Sparkfun does choose the products they supply carefully, but they assume that you have some experience with complex electronics and are willing to do a lot of work to understand what you're working with. Parallax, on the other hand, markets to the educational market, anything from elementary school to college level and provides a lot of introductory material and sample code.
    edited 2009-10-25 16:47
    Let say i do it this way

RFID Reader
    Stamp controller
    Easy Bluetooth ~~wireless~~ PC with built-in Bluetooth.

But can I change Easy Bluetooth ~~wireless~~ to
    433 MHz RF Transceiver ~~wireless~~

I hope this will help, because I like all the information of Parallex
    edited 2009-10-25 18:48
    You would need another transceiver (and some kind of USB to serial adapter) on the PC side. I suggested Easy Bluetooth because most modern PCs have built-in Bluetooth and the maximum range is on the order of 10m.

The 433 MHz Transceivers have better range, but you'll need an interface on the PC side which is easy to make. Also, these have no error checking built-in and you'll have to complicate your code to improve reliability -- not hard, but it has to be done.
  • WKUadamWKUadam Posts: 6
    edited 2009-12-12 03:37
    hi i'm new hear are we not allowed to comment on non-parallax products? i noticed wouter is planning on using an ID-2, i used the ID-12 last year for a project, i would suggest that if you want to use the ID readers then spend a little extra money and get the ID-12 or 20, if you buy the 2 you have to build and connect your own antenna. the 12 and 20 have internal antenna. you would have to solder the ID-2, if you want to avoid soldering parallax sells an RFID reader that i believe plugs into a breadboard. also with the Id-12 from sparkfun get the breakout board so you can easily connect it to a breadboard, its original pins are not spaced correctly to fit
    edited 2009-12-12 03:54
    This is a Parallax support forum. This particular forum is for support of the Parallax Stamps. It's not that you can't comment on non-Parallax products. It's just that there's really no support available for them. If you have problems with a non-Parallax product, there may be no one here familiar with it or no one may have documentation on it. In any event, Parallax can't be responsible for something they don't sell. That doesn't mean that there aren't great products out there that work fine with Parallax products, it's just that you're somewhat on your own.

When people mix different suppliers' products including some from Parallax and have problems and ask about them here, the best that can be done is to try to answer generally and to provide examples of the use of the Parallax product with a Stamp since there's so much available in the way of documentation about the Stamps and they're pretty easy to understand and generalize about.

The Sandbox forum here is intended for discussion of non-Parallax products and other topics not specifically related to Parallax products. Generally, when someone starts a long thread there about a product that competes with a Parallax product, they're asked to move it to a forum at the competitor's website (if it exists).