Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Remotecontrol — Parallax Forums

IR Remotecontrol

OPGOPG Posts: 1
edited 2009-10-20 14:13 in BASIC Stamp
Im wanting to use my "Board of education Full Kit" and "Understanding Signals" to create a 2 button remote control to turn a tv on/off and mute the tv is a dynex.
I have found alot of info on decoding a sony remote but nothing on decoding any other brands. also even with the sony all i have been able to find is info on decoding the signal but nothing on cloning the signal and sending it from stamp.

Please help as i am new to this

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-20 14:13
    The problem is that every TV manufacturer has a slightly different (to very different) encoding scheme for their signals.

And only Sony (and Phillips) has published what they use. So, the first thing to do is find out what the signal is.

I've done this using a USB based logic analyzer, connected to an IR-decoder chip. You can get the IR-decoder chip at Radio Shack or Parallax, it's a three-terminal device which is looking for RF-light blinking at a 38.5 KHz rate. When it sees this, its normally high output goes low as long as it's seeing it.

So what you do is hook up the IR-decoder chip (I think it's shown in "Understanding Signals") and put a logic analyzer on the data pin. Then aim your remote at the IR-decoder and press the 'off' button. The logic analyzer will then show you what the encoding is -- some amount of time lit for a '1', some amount lit for a 'zero', and some string of '1's and '0's to encode the key-press.