Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Help — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Help

chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
edited 2009-10-21 14:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hello

is there another place where i can get basic stamp help in a forum seting, i have been working with the basic stamp chip for about a year and still have issues ?

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-10-20 02:16
    This is the best place. The main thing is to learn how to ask your questions in a way that helps people to answer them in a helpful way. It takes some practice, some patience, and some reading of other people's questions. There is not an army of Stamp experts poised at their keyboards to answer your question - there are a bunch of users doing it out of the goodness of their hearts during their personal time (well, okay, many are probably browsing the forum while on the clock).

Read other people's questions, and the answers. Be patient in getting answers to your own questions, and be nice to the people who help you. And be prepared to put some effort of your own in between others' suggestions. It works, believe me, and nothing else will.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-20 02:29
    Chris Jones said...
    i have been working with the basic stamp chip for about a year and still have issues
    What issues?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2009-10-20 12:51
    when i ask a question on the forum i have been told that i am wasteing pepoles time, i post questions for help not for fun. every post that i make its on another subject that i need help with. I have been working with the stamp for about a year but i am not a expert. So i opened this thread to see if there is another place i can ask questions without pepole geting upset with me.

Do you know if Experts Exchange has a basic stamp area?

some of the issues are that parallax sells items on there site but no support

EXMAPLE
    EEPROM
    Timekeeping Chip
    etc..........
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2009-10-20 13:16
    chris jones said...
    some of the issues are that parallax sells items on there site but no support....

No, that can't be true. I never faced a place with better support then Parallax and their forums.

You just have to be patient and if you do some research in all the documentation that·can be found on their web sites, you will usually find answers to the most of what you are wondering about. You can also search for topics in this forum·by using the Search-button on the upper right corner of this page.
    And finally, get the What's a microcontroller and some of the other books that is available from Parallax and go through the examples from the beginning to the end.
    Sylvie369 does also have some very good points here.

Most of the people here on the forums will help you on your way with the projects but no one will do the projects for you. You always have to do some studying yourself.
    ·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-10-20 14:07
    This is about as good as it gets. No other chip forum (MicroChip, MELabs, etc) has as much support as you get here. Why, the only thing Parallax won't tell you is the exact PBasic run-time-engine. Everything else is wide open -- schematics for the BOE board, schematics for the BS2 chips, lots and lots of Nuts & Volts articles on-line.

And we're even sorry you're still having issues, and willing to help, if only you tell us what the issues are in sufficient detail for us TO help.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-10-21 03:12
    chris jones said...

some of the issues are that parallax sells items on there site but no support

EXMAPLE
    EEPROM http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/eprom/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/25/Default.aspx (datasheet, source code, documentation)
    Timekeeping Chip http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/time/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/233/Default.aspx (datasheet from Dallas and demo code)
    etc..........
    Liar, liar, pants on fire. nono.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-10-21 03:54
    Chris,

I have been a member of the Parallax discussion group since way before they had forums....and have never had problems getting help.

The first issue, are you asking the question in a form people understand the underlying problem?

Are you getting too deep into projects without a basic understanding of how the Stamp works?

Is English not your native language?

All of these can be a factor.....and if you can accept help, I'm sure someone here will offer it. Now, it is important to note, that some peoples help will differ from what you are actually looking for. I have this happen on many occasions. This is due to people thinking differently. But if you are patient, and determined you helpers/tutors will usually come around to accept you want to do something a certain way (even if it may be the slow/round about way).

Starting with any micro-controller/processor can be very frustrating, but if you spend a reasonable amount of time trying, someone will help you.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Please note: Due to economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. Thanks for your understanding.
  • YoshtiYoshti Posts: 108
    edited 2009-10-21 14:14
    Chris,
    I feel the same way. Looks like my questions never gets answered for what you're searching or they get you to read some more.

Well it works. For one english is not my first language. So my question may be not so obvious for most.

For two, now I learned to search the forum first, use keywords like GPS or compass... then read all about it.
    I know, it gets anoying to read all of it... you want action now.
    That is my point of view too. Get it to work, then let see if I can understand what I did.

It took me months to decide which chip to go for! STAMPS or other. Well after reading other forums , here was the best that I could find. I did not understand most of it, until I bought my first chip after 48 years of "WISH I COULD DO THAT" wink.gif

So, just come back in here, and annoy the heck out of everyone to get the answer of what you are looking for.
    I keep at it, and with all the replies, I learn along the way!

Some stuff is out of my LONELY CELL BRAIN capacity, I just ask for design or more questions... that's all.
    And be nice... it works well too!
    Yosh !